You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

'Kill a bunch of people': Man enters Wilkesboro Walmart with mass murder intent after OH, TX shootings, reports say

WXII 12 Greensboro-Winston-Salem logo WXII 12 Greensboro-Winston-Salem 8/13/2019
a man wearing glasses: Jimmy Roger Minton Junior © Provided by Hearst Television, Inc. Jimmy Roger Minton Junior

An arrest report is revealing more details about the man accused of bringing a gun into the Wilkesboro Walmart on Saturday.

Jimmy Roger Minton Junior, 28, of Wilkesboro, is in jail under a $1,000,000 bond. He was initially charged with six counts of simple assault, misdemeanor larceny, possession of stolen goods, resisting a public officer and assault on a government official.

On Tuesday afternoon, police said that after consulting with the District Attorney's Office, additional charges have been filed, including two counts of felonious assault with a deadly weapon against a government employee, six counts of misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon and two felony counts of terrorism.

Minton was served with the new charges and his bond was increased to $2 million.

Officer C.G. Colbert wrote the report. Colbert says he was dispatched to Walmart to speak with Martha Minton, who was standing beside of car. Martha said she gave her son Jimmy $50 to buy a pair of shorts. Martha said Jimmy came out of the store asking for more money and he didn’t appear to have any merchandise with him, the report says.

Martha informed the officer that Jimmy went into nearby Dunham’s Sporting Goods. Colbert says Martha reported a history of violence Jimmy has had toward her and was worried he may have bought or even stolen a pocket knife from Walmart.

Officer McHargue arrived to assist Colbert with the scene. After the briefing, McHargue went to Dunham’s to try to locate Jimmy. According to the report, while speaking with Martha, McHargue advised personnel via radio that she located Jimmy in Dunham’s and he was in possession of what appeared to be a gun.

Sergeant Price, Officer C. Shumate, and Colbert then moved to assist McHargue at Dunham’s.

"I could hear Officer McHargue yelling for help inside the store stating she had located him. (Jimmy) had made his way through the store to the back storage room. I went back to the right side of the store to try and cut him off when I made contact with him near the restrooms at the rear of the store. (Jimmy) was wearing a gray shirt with blue jeans and I observed what appeared to be a black gun that looked like a short automatic rifle in his hands," Colbert writes in the report.

Colbert says he then ordered Jimmy to drop the weapon as Jimmy continued around the corner into a storage room.

At some point, police say Jimmy pointed a gun at the officer and the officer took cover.

A store employee advised officers that the storage room had an exit door at the rear of the building, but it was locked.

Price, Colbert, and Deputy Frausto with the Wilkes County Sheriff's Office made entry and cleared the storage room.

"We found the storage room door to be an emergency exit door and when the bar was pushed it opened to the rear of the building. Just after clearing the room, (we were advised that) someone had called about a white male wearing a gray shirt and blue jeans carrying a gun in Walmart. We responded to Walmart and Sgt. Price and I made entry through the grocery entrance," wrote Colbert.

Colbert says they observed multiple people running out of Walmart in a panic. The officers and deputies started clearing the building, looking for Jimmy, while also speaking with people who were leaving to try to ascertain his last-known location.

"At one point we passed a Walmart employee running towards us that said the suspect was near the automotive section. Sgt. McManus had come in through another entrance and cleared the left side of the building when we met him in the electronics section of the store. We had cornered (Jimmy) at the rear of the store in the layaway department and Sgt. McManus made entry into a bathroom locating Jimmy," Colbert writes in the report.

Jimmy was located and arrested.

Colbert says they found the weapon next to him during the arrest.

"The gun was a black in color, Swiss Arms MOD FIRE .177 caliber pellet gun. The gun has been seized and placed in evidence. Lt. Pierce with the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Office later approached me and gave me the box the gun was previously packaged in that was located at Dunham’s where (Jimmy) had stolen it from. The gun still had an anti-theft device around the trigger guard and was valued at $74.99," the arrest report says.

Jimmy was placed in the backseat of the patrol car.

Officers and deputies collected witness statements from at least three people who were victims at Dunham's Sports.

At least six Walmart employees gave statements as well.

During the gathering of the statements, Colbert noticed Jimmy moving around "a lot" in the patrol car.

"I opened the door and asked if he was okay and he told me the reason why he did what he did. (Jimmy) said he has seen what had happened at the recent shootings in El Paso, TX, and Dayton, OH and wanted to go to Dunham’s and Walmart to kill a bunch of people," the report reads.

Jimmy's next court date is September 25 in Wilkes County District Court.

READ MORE:'Kill a bunch of people': Man enters Wilkesboro Walmart with mass murder intent after OH, TX shootings, reports say

CHECK OUT WXII:Get the latest Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem news of the day. Catch the top stories, sports and weather from the team at WXII12.


More from WXII 12 Greensboro Winston Salem

WXII 12 Greensboro-Winston-Salem
WXII 12 Greensboro-Winston-Salem
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon