You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Prosecutor says ‘all the details’ will be disclosed today in the David Ortiz shooting

The Boston Globe logo The Boston Globe 6/19/2019 Travis Andersen
a man holding a bag: The director of the National Police, General Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, showed the weapon that police say was used to shoot David Ortiz. © AP Photo/Roberto Guzman The director of the National Police, General Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, showed the weapon that police say was used to shoot David Ortiz.

Today’s the day we learn everything about the attempted murder of retired Red Sox legend David Ortiz earlier this month in his native Santo Domingo — at least that’s what Dominican prosecutors have promised.

Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez told reporters Tuesday that authorities will hold a Wednesday news conference to share “all the details” of the June 9 shooting of Ortiz at the Dial Bar and Lounge.

Rodríguez did not elaborate on what he planned to say at the highly anticipated presser scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Ortiz was shot in the back at close range as he sat with friends on the patio of the Dial, in what police have described as an attempted contract killing. Eleven people, including the alleged gunman, are in custody for their suspected roles in the plot, and additional suspects remain at large.

Ortiz continues to recuperate at Mass. General. Leo Lopez, a spokesman for Ortiz, said Wednesday via text message that Ortiz is walking to help activate his intestines, which were injured in the attack.

Law enforcement officials have not said on the record who ordered the hit or why, though rumors have proliferated on social media and in tabloid newspapers.

José Martínez Hoepelman, a lawyer for Ortiz, said Tuesday that the revered former slugger is “innocent in what happened. He has no connection to illicit activities, no relationships with people who have criminal connections, nor has he violated his family values that would bring about such an incident.”

Secreto, a prominent Dominican recording artist who was with Ortiz at the time of the shooting, has said via Instagram that he fled the scene because he thought he was the gunman’s intended target.

Maria Cramer, Aimee Ortiz, David Abel and Michael Levenson of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.

Related slideshow: The 2019 MLB season (Provided by imagn)

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from The Boston Globe

The Boston Globe
The Boston Globe
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon