You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Top Stories

New details emerge of Aaron Hernandez's time behind bars

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 5/19/2017 KEVIN ARMSTRONG

The late Aaron Hernandez kept busy while detained inside Bristol County House of Corrections for nearly two years, telling one corrections officer that he dreamed of chasing him and his family while on vacation.

Hernandez, 27, hanged himself in a prison cell at Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center last month, but the former Patriot’s time in Bristol County, where he was held before and during his first murder trial, is coming into focus.

A disciplinary report obtained by NBC outlines Hernandez’s transgressions, including telling one officer that Hernandez wanted to be “my father figure and show me how to be a man.” Another guard reported that after he denied Hernandez a extra tray of food, Hernandez called him “a scared b----.” The report also says that the officer noted that Hernandez said he would kill the guard and shoot his family.

One filing recounts an altercation with another inmate that featured the inmate spitting in Hernandez’s face and calling him a member of the Bloods gang. Another highlights Hernandez punching an inmate walking with his hands behind his back in the face.

Hernandez was taken into custody on June 26, 2013 and convicted of first-degree murder for killing Odin Lloyd on April 15, 2015. He was labeled Inmate #174954 and locked up under the supervision of sheriff Thomas Hodgson for the majority of the interim.

“He was a master manipulator,” Hodgson told the News.

During a cell search, Hernandez was found to possess a paper that read: “MOB.” Hernandez told the officer that it stood for “Money Over B------.” Hernandez was told that it meant more and that it would be taken away.

Hernandez proceeded to eat the paper and tell the guard, “Lock me up.”

Cell G-1 in the Special Management Unit was Hernandez’s home for much of his time on site. During one response to a disciplinary finding, Hernandez denied any wrongdoing and added “#ThisJailIsCorrupt” and “PutMoreFoodOnTrays.” He ended the message: “#WhoeverReadsThisTellTheSheriffISendMyLoveAndSendHugsAndKisses.”

Hernandez was transported within the jail with leg irons and double-lock shackles. There were restraints put on his wrists and he was strip searched often. He was allowed recreation periods once a day, and injured himself once when trying to spin while walking. He fell to the ground, but insisted that he was fine. He noted that he was “horsing around.”

Communication between inmates in neighboring cells was conducted via a “fishing line” of ripped paper that one officer noted measured 15 feet in Hernandez’s cell.

Hernandez’s conviction was abated last week. Susan Garsh, the Fall River, Mass., judge who oversaw Hernandez’s murder trial, ruled that Hernandez was considered innocent in the eyes of the commonwealth because he had not yet exhausted his appeal prior to his death.


More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon