You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Bill Cosby’s 1974 Playboy Mansion Sexual Assault Case Gets 2018 Trial Date

Deadline logo Deadline 6/27/2017 Dominic Patten
© Provided by Deadline

Less than two weeks after a mistrial was declared in Bill Cosby’s criminal case in Pennsylvania for the 2004 rape of Andrea Constand, a California judge put a trial date for the actor on the calendar for an assault at the Playboy Mansion over 42 years ago.

In a hearing this morning, L.A. Superior Court Judge Craig Kaplan named July 30, 2018 as the tentative start date for the civil case. Although the Golden State’s former statute of limitations has passed on Huth’s claims of being sexually attacked at the age of 15-years old by Cosby in 1974 at Hugh Hefner’s home, she was still able to file her case because she was a minor at the time of the claimed incident.

Setting a 9:30 AM start for the new trial, the LASC Judge did not set a schedule for how long the trial could last, if it even happens.

What Judge Kaplan did do is tell lawyers for Cosby and Huth’s attorney Gloria Allred that they all need to be back in court on September 14 this year for a hearing on whether a second deposition of the actor in the case will go forward or not.

Cosby sat for a more than seven-hour first deposition in the Huth case on October 9 last year.

Long fought by Cosby, the new deposition has been granted but simultaneously stayed by the court pending the results of the criminal case in the Keystone State. After a week of trial and more than 50 hours of deliberations by the ultimately deadlocked jurors, that case ended on June 17 in a mistrial. Cosby, who turns 80 next month, faced more than 10 years in jail if convicted on three felony charges of second-degree aggravated indecent assault.

As is his prerogative under Pennsylvania law, Montgomery County D.A. Kevin Steele says he will seek a new trial with the same charges against the actor in the near future.

Depending on what happens with that new case actually going to trial or not, Judge Kaplan wants an update in the fall to then decide on lifting the stay and setting a date for a second Cosby depo in the Huth case. Held up because of the Pennsylvania criminal trial and the almost certainty that Cosby would claim his 5th amendment privilege against self-incrimination, such a second deposition is very rare in Cali civil cases. However, as Allred has argued in court and Judge Kaplan gave the OK to, there are a number of questions out of the first depo that she believes Cosby should respond to for the court record.

While admitting in a 2005 deposition he gave former Temple University employee Constand several blue Benadryl pills that night at his Philadelphia area mansion in January 2004, Cosby always has said the incident was consensual.

Elected late last year partially on a campaign promise to prosecute Cosby, Steele arraigned the actor in December 2015 just before Pennsylvania’s statute of limitations for sex crimes expired. It is the only criminal case against the actor despite more than 60 women, including Huth, accusing him of drugging and sexually assaulting them over the decades.

Representing several of those women, Allred was in court for all of Cosby’s criminal trial in Norristown, PA earlier this month.

Related slideshow: The rise and fall of Bill Cosby (via Photo Services): Bill Cosby: From icon to accused

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Deadline

AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon