You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Hollywood Reacts to ‘Last Tango in Paris’ Director’s Rape Scene Confession

Variety logo Variety 12/4/2016 Seth Kelley
© Provided by Variety

Several celebrities took to Twitter on Saturday to express disgust over the recent uncovering of a 2013 video in which “Last Tango in Paris” director Bernardo Bertolucci admits he and Marlon Brando conspired against then-19-year-old actress Maria Schneider to film a rape scene. In the well-known scene, Brando’s character used a stick of butter as lubricant to simulate sex.

“I had been, in a way, horrible to Maria because I didn’t tell her what was going on,” Bertolucci said.

Reports of the incident sparked outrage from many in and outside of Hollywood. Some called for the director to be stripped of his awards, or to be prosecuted.

“To all the people that love this film- you’re watching a 19yr old get raped by a 48yr old man. The director planned her attack. I feel sick,” Jessica Chastain tweeted.

Evan Rachel Wood retweeted Chastain’s comments, adding, “I second that. This is heartbreaking and outrageous. The 2 of them are very sick individuals to think that was ok.”

Chris Evans wrote, “Wow. I will never look at this film, Bertolucci or Brando the same way again. This is beyond disgusting. I feel rage,” which prompted a response from Anna Kendrick.

“Ms Schneider stated this several years ago. I used to get eye-rolls when I brought it up to people (aka dudes),” Kendrick tweeted back, referring to an interview Schneider did with the Daily Mail before she died in 2011.

Many online readers were confused by Friday’s Elle magazine report, which initially dug up the video, for not clarifying whether the sex between Brando and Schneider was simulated. According to Schneider, it was fake, but that didn’t make her any less surprised by Bertolucci and Brando’s behavior.

“I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped,” Schneider told the U.K. paper. “After the scene, Marlon didn’t console me or apologize. Thankfully, there was just one take.”

“Selma” director Ava DuVernay, one of the industry’s most outspoken advocates for women’s rights, condemned the “inexcusable” incident on social media.

“As a director, I can barely fathom this,” she wrote. “As a woman, I am horrified, disgusted and enraged by it.”

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Variety

AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon