You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

FIRST ALERT: Cristobal downgraded to a tropical depression; More storm chances today and tomorrow

Birmingham  WBRC logo Birmingham WBRC 6/4/2020 Matt Daniel
a close up of a sign: We continue to plan for scattered storms Friday and Saturday as we remain in an unsettled weather pattern. © Provided by Birmingham WBRC We continue to plan for scattered storms Friday and Saturday as we remain in an unsettled weather pattern.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - It is a very warm Thursday afternoon with temperatures mostly in the 80s. When you factor in the humidity, it makes it feel a few degrees warmer. We have been watching isolated showers and few storms form in west Alabama as of this hour. We do expect additional showers and storms to develop this afternoon. Rain chance around 40%. If you don't see a storm today, you'll likely see a partly to mostly cloudy sky with highs in the upper 80s. Any storm that forms today has the potential to become strong or possibly severe. Main threats will be gusty winds, hail, frequent lightning, and heavy rain. It will be a similar setup as yesterday. Remember that when thunder roars, go indoors!

First Alert: We continue to plan for scattered storms Friday and Saturday as we remain in an unsettled weather pattern. We will remain muggy for both days with highs in the upper 80s with a few spots climbing into the lower 90s. I think there’s a decent chance we could see a 50-60% chance for storms Friday afternoon and evening. By Saturday, we will introduce a 40% chance for storms mainly along and south of I-20/59. We cannot rule out an isolated strong or severe storm for both days. Main threat will be frequent lightning, gusty winds, and maybe small hail. Mostly Dry Sunday: Based on the latest forecasts from the National Hurricane Center and other computer models, Sunday could end up relatively dry across North and Central Alabama. A few showers or storms will be possible Sunday evening for areas south of I-20 as Cristobal inches closer to the Southeast Gulf Coast. We will likely see a cloudy sky with highs in the upper 80s. Humidity levels will remain high thanks to southerly flow from the Gulf. Rain chances could increase if there is more moisture with Cristobal and it speeds up a little as it approaches the Gulf Coast. Our forecast for Sunday-Tuesday will all depend on the track and intensity of Cristobal. Changes to our forecast may occur over the next couple of days as we get the latest information.

Latest on Cristobal: Cristobal has been downgraded to a tropical depression with sustained winds of 35 mph. It will remain weak and disorganized over the next 24 hours as it remains over land. The forecast is for Cristobal to finally move north and emerge over the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico Friday. Once it begins to move over open water, it could slowly strengthen into a tropical storm. The latest forecast has Cristobal making landfall somewhere along the Louisiana coast Sunday night as a 60 mph tropical storm. The odds of Cristobal becoming a hurricane is very unlikely at this time as it will encounter some obstacles on its way to the Gulf Coast. The big issue with this storm will be heavy rain, flooding, and some storm surge.Alabama Gulf Coast: Plan on temperatures in the low to mid 80s with spotty showers and a few storms on Saturday. Sunday is looking wet and stormy with a high chance for rain throughout the day. It will also remain very breezy with east-southeast winds at 10-20 mph with gusts near 35 mph. I would avoid swimming in the water over the weekend. A high rip current threat is likely as the storm approaches the Gulf Coast. We could also see a small severe threat for isolated tornadoes as the outer rain bands move onto the coast.

Cristobal Impacts Across Central Alabama: Latest models show Cristobal getting absorbed by a trough of low pressure moving into the Central Plains. The storm will likely move through Louisiana and Arkansas and lose tropical characteristics. It will then move off to the north and east as a cold front approaches us. The combination of tropical moisture and an approaching cold front will likely enhance our rain chances Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I can’t rule out some heavy rainfall and an isolated severe threat Tuesday into Wednesday. High temperatures will likely climb into the mid to upper 80s due to the cloud cover. Rain chances around 50-60% for Tuesday and Wednesday.Make sure you download the WBRC First Alert Weather App for the latest information regarding our local weather and Cristobal. Enjoy the rest of your Thursday-

Copyright 2020 WBRC. All rights reserved.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Birmingham WBRC

Birmingham  WBRC
Birmingham WBRC
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon