You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Tehran: US Claim of Iran’s Interference in Venezuela Preposterous

FARS News Agency logo FARS News Agency 15/04/2019 FARS News Agency
a man wearing a suit and tie smiling at the camera: Tehran: US Claim of Iran’s Interference in Venezuela Preposterous © Provided by FARS News Agency Tehran: US Claim of Iran’s Interference in Venezuela Preposterous

Mousavi, in a Sunday statement, described Pompeo’s claim as “ridiculous”, saying Washington is the one that must stop meddling in Venezuela and targeting its nation with “economic terrorism”.

The Iranian diplomat said a group of Iranian specialists are trying to “improve the water and electricity systems in Venezuela” at the request of the country’s government.

This comes as “the US has plundered $30 billion worth of Venezuela’s foreign-exchange reserves, is targeting the Venezuelan nation with its economic terrorism, asking them to either riot against their legitimate government or face starvation,” he added.

Mousavi strongly condemned the US for such “blatant” interference in Venezuela’s internal affairs, and said, “The US under Trump seeks to turn Latin America into its backyard, just like the way it was in the 19th century. However, nations of the world, particularly the people of Latin America, have woken up and the wheel of time will not move backwards.”

The comments came after Pompeo claimed that Iran has a financial presence in South America.

“Iranian money remains in South America being used for malign purposes, supporting Hezbollah, supporting transnational criminal organizations, supporting efforts at terrorism throughout the region," Pompeo told the Voice of America on Saturday.

"This is Iran intervening in South America. That's not in the best interests of the South American people, and the United States stands ready,” he added.

Pompeo spoke during a stop in Paraguay on a trip that Washington has said will focus on developments in Venezuela.

Earlier in mid-March, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel blamed Washington for the collapse of the Venezuelan power grid and drew a parallel between Washington's actions and the ones of the Nazis.

"The criminal aggression against Venezuela seems to be inspired by the worst practices of the Nazis, like the siege of Leningrad [during World War II], which was aimed to starve the city to death. Nobody doubts that the blackouts in Venezuela are the result of the US sabotage", the Cuban leader tweeted on March 13.

Earlier in March, a massive blackout swept many Venezuela's states, crippling the country's power grid. The national electricity supplier Corpoelec insisted that the power cut was the result of sabotage at the major Guri hydroelectric power plant in Eastern Bolivar state.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro pinned the blame for the crisis on the United States. As of now, the power supply has been mostly restored in the country.

Washington and its allies openly support Venezuela’s opposition leader Juan Guaido, who proclaimed himself 'interim president' back in January, following a wave of anti- and pro-government rallies. In the meantime, Russia, China, Turkey, Cuba, and other countries stand by legitimately-elected President Nicolas Maduro and warn the United States and its allies against "meddling" in the South American country’s affairs.

More from FARS News Agency

FARS News Agency
FARS News Agency
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon