You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's secret sly dig at Beatrice and Eugenie in explosive new statement

Birmingham Mail logo Birmingham Mail 23/02/2020 Russell Myers & James Rodger
UP NEXT
UP NEXT

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry allegedly made a hidden dig at Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie in their bombshell statement on Friday.

The pair, who are set to quit life as senior royals, issued a dramatic statement earlier this week in which their frustrations with Buckingham Palace were laid bare.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will step back from royal duties next month after deciding they wanted to remove themselves.

They had hoped to use the trademarked branding ‘Sussex Royal’ going forward, but have been told by the Queen they cannot.

Pictures- Prince Harry and Meghan exit: What we know so far

In a dramatic statement, the Mirror reports Harry and Meghan ­insisted they will ­continue to receive taxpayer-funded security despite no deal being reached between the UK and Canada, where they are currently living with son Archie.

The statement read: “While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the ­institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month ­review period has been put in place.”

A royal source said: “It’s pretty clear they are referencing minor royals such as Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, which is an odd association to make for two people whose associates were once claiming they had single-­handedly modernised the monarchy.”

A royal source added: “We’re witnessing a quite extraordinary turn of events.

“The British people will not stand for two ­multi-millionaires demanding taxpayer funds after abandoning the country they should be serving.

“The latest series of comments published on the Sussexes’ website comes across as ­extremely petulant and has caused a great deal of alarm inside the palace.

“This is further evidence of Harry and Meghan further ostracising ­themselves from the family rather than building bridges."

Prince Harry et al. posing for the camera: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle © PA The Duke and Duchess of Sussex - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Plans to launch their own foundation have also been scrapped, although they do say that they plan a ‘non-profit entity’ instead, which will be in addition to their ‘cause-driven work’.

There had been reports in the US suggesting that Meghan had told pals there was ‘nothing legally stopping them’ from using Sussex Royal, but the Queen’s legal advisers have outlined the case enshrined in UK law banning the use of the word “royal” for financial gain.

The Prince and his American wife had reportedly spent thousands on a range of goods from T-shirts to bandanas and literature bearing the Sussex Royal name.

In their new statement, the couple claim the Monarchy and Cabinet Office had “no jurisdiction over the use of the word ‘royal’ overseas”.

More from Birmingham Mail

Birmingham Mail
Birmingham Mail
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon