You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Queen Elizabeth cancels traditional welcome outside Balmoral Castle gates due to issues with her 'comfort'

9Honey logo 9Honey 8/08/2022 Natalie Oliveri

Queen Elizabeth will not take part in the traditional welcome ceremony outside the gates of Balmoral Castle this year after a last-minute change.

The annual spectacle has been cancelled and instead the monarch will host a "small, private event" instead.

The move has renewed fears for the health of the Queen, who is 96, after significantly reducing her public role of late.

Click the image below to remember Olivia Newton-John's extraordinary life in photos at 9Honey Celebrity

© Getty

Her Majesty is currently staying at Balmoral Castle in the Scottish Highlands, one of two private residences owned by the monarch.

She travelled to the estate in late July and is due to remain there until October.

Usually, the Queen meets members of the public outside Balmoral's gates soon after arriving to mark the official beginning of her summer stay.

READ MORE: Tributes flow for Olivia Newton-John after her death aged 73

The welcome also sees the Queen inspect a Guard of Honour from Balaklava Company, 5th Battalion, the Royal ­Regiment of Scotland.

With the exception of the COVID-19 pandemic, Her Majesty has not missed the public welcoming in decades.

Queen Elizabeth, with Sophie the Countess of Wessex, at Holyroodhouse on June 27, 2022. © Getty Queen Elizabeth, with Sophie the Countess of Wessex, at Holyroodhouse on June 27, 2022.

Now, the ceremony will take place inside the castle and away from the cameras.


Video: Queen Elizabeth Cancels Balmoral Event (Buzz60)

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

A source told The Mirror the abrupt change to the Balmoral schedule was "very much a sign of things to come".

However, Buckingham Palace said the move wasn't a cause for concern instead it was "in line with adapting Her Majesty's schedule for her comfort".

The monarch has taken a big step back from her public role since October, when she was forced to cancel a number of events and rest.

READ MORE: Olivia Newton-John passes away 'peacefully' aged 73

She had been pacing herself, under doctors' orders, to be well enough to be front at centre of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June but appeared at just two of the events across the four-day weekend.

But a few weeks later, Her Majesty surprised everyone by appearing at events in Scotland for Royal Week – joining Prince Charles and the Countess of Wessex at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in late June.

The Queen at the Balmoral Castle welcome ceremony in 2019. © Getty The Queen at the Balmoral Castle welcome ceremony in 2019.

The monarch is expected to interrupt her Scottish holiday to travel to England in the coming weeks to invite her 15th Prime Minister to form a government.

It follows the resignation of Boris Johnson who will step down on September 6.

The winning candidate is expected to meet the monarch to officially accept the invitation.

The Queen doesn't usually return from Balmoral Castle until early October but is believed to have told aides she will make an exception and travel to Buckingham Palace in London, or Windsor Castle.

Sources say it's a duty Her Majesty intends to fulfil in person.

The Queen's visit to welcome the new Prime Minister is expected to be brief and she will return to Balmoral to continue her holiday.

While there, she will be visited by members of her family – including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – who spend time at the sprawling estate before the royal calendar starts to get busy again towards the end of the year.

More from 9Honey

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon