You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

One-punch killer who was let out of jail to play football is banned from further releases after decision sparked outrage

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 7/08/2018 Monica O'Shea

The one-punch killer who was released from prison to play football on weekends has been banned from the game pending further investigation. 

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced on Tuesday that Dylan Closter, who fatally punched David Cassai, 22 on New Year's Eve in 2012, will now need to remain in jail. 

The 24-year-old was released into the community to play the game in April, despite being sentenced to nine years prison with a non-parole period of six years in 2014. 

But after outrage was expressed at his release by the victim's devastated mother Caterina Politi on 7 News, Mr Andrews announced an 'urgent review'.

'There will be no football or any other day release services while that review is being conducted', he told the network. 

 'I was, like most Victorians, shocked to learn that someone who had been convicted of such a serious offence, a cowardly offence, was being allowed to play football,'

Mr Closter, now 24, was pictured enjoying a soft drink and socialising with friends after his game for the Rushworth Football Club in footage shown on Monday.

a man running on a field: Dylan Closter

Dylan Closter
© Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited

His football coach told the network he was not aware of Mr Closter's history, but said he was a 'great guy' who has done a lot for the club including fundraising. 

He is also in line for the best club man award at the  end of the season. 

Mr Closter is one of eleven prisoners from the Dhurrungile prison - a low security jail in Victoria - who has been allowed to play the game on weekends. 

Ms Politi, told the Herald Sun on Monday she was 'insulted' and 'offended' about her son's killer being released from prison. 

'I am insulted, I'm offended. It's never about victims,' she said. 

 'I'm all for rehabilitation but punishment has to be number one.'

Opposition leader Matthew Guy said people who have committed 'violent acts' and put behind bars should not be playing football on the weekend.

a man and a woman posing for the camera: Caterina Politi, pictured left, with her son Mr Cassai, at a party before the fatal one-punch attack © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Caterina Politi, pictured left, with her son Mr Cassai, at a party before the fatal one-punch attack a person standing in front of a building: Ms Politi was devastated to find out her son's killer has been released to play football. 'To think that he's been released, David doesn't get a second chance,' she said. © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Ms Politi was devastated to find out her son's killer has been released to play football. 'To think that he's been released, David doesn't get a second chance,' she said.  

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon