You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Staff and students at a Sydney high school are ordered to self-isolate

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 16/10/2020 Daily Mail Australia Reporter
a truck is parked on the side of a building: MailOnline logo © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo

Staff and students at a Sydney high school have been ordered to self-isolate after a coronavirus outbreak.

A student at Oran Park High School in the south west of Sydney returned a positive test on Friday. 

Only Year 7 and Year 8 students had been at the school, which will be deep cleaned over the weekend. 

a person standing in a parking lot: A student at Oran Park High School in the south west of Sydney returned a positive test on Friday © Provided by Daily Mail A student at Oran Park High School in the south west of Sydney returned a positive test on Friday

NSW recorded five new coronavirus cases on Friday, including one of community transmission, as restrictions ease around open-air concerts and outdoor dining.

Four of the cases reported on Friday are returned overseas travellers in hotel quarantine, while one is linked to an existing cluster at Lakemba in Sydney's southwest.

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said a child and worker at the Great Beginnings childcare centre at Oran Park have also recently tested positive and would be included in Saturday's figures.

'I would ask anyone who is at that childcare centre to immediately isolate,' she said.

'A number of people would have been advised to isolate but we may be upgrading the advice for some of the casual contact at that childcare centre,

'Public health will be reaching out to you immediately.'

Dr Chant said anyone who attended the A2Z Medical Centre in Lakemba between September 25 and October 2 should get tested.

Anyone who was at the centre from October 3-10 should get tested, isolate and monitor symptoms, she added.

The new Lakemba case is a household contact of a previous case, taking the cluster to 16.

Up to 500 people are now allowed to attend open-air concerts, as long as they stay seated and remain four metres apart.

Restrictions for outdoor dining venues have also been relaxed, allowing one patron per two square metres, as long as venues use an electronic QR code to record patrons' contact details.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian flagged further easing of restrictions next week, depending on how case numbers go over the weekend. 

Read more

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon