You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Rape victims were attacked by seven men near Hindley Street, court told

ABC News (AU) logo ABC News (AU) 6/12/2022 By court reporter Meagan Dillon
The sexual assault allegedly happened in a car park off of Hindley Street, in Adelaide's CBD. (ABC News: Che Chorley) © Provided by ABC News (AU) The sexual assault allegedly happened in a car park off of Hindley Street, in Adelaide's CBD. (ABC News: Che Chorley)

Seven males forced two women into the stairwell of an Adelaide car park where the women were then repeatedly raped for over 30 minutes during a night out, a court has heard.

A 23-year-old Kensington Park man — whose identity has been suppressed by the court — appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon where he applied to be released on bail.

He is the third person to be charged in relation to the alleged crime — after a 20-year-old man and 17-year-old boy.

Opposing bail, police prosecutor Brevet Sergeant Amanda Sparnan told the court the two women, aged 18 and 19, had been on a night out when they walked by a car park on Solomon Street about 2am on Sunday.

She said they saw a group of seven males near the car park and one of the women knew some of the group through an ex-boyfriend before they were invited to drink alcohol and consume cannabis with them.

"At one point, not long after being there, one of the victims was dragged by her arm and forced into the stairwell by one of the males," Sergeant Sparnan said.

'Some raped, others watched'

Sergeant Sparnan said the woman was forced to perform numerous sex acts with three men — the details of which are too graphic to publish.

"Some raped, while others watched," she told the court.

She said the other woman was able to see down the stairwell and witnessed her friend allegedly being raped by others in the group.

The court heard one of the women managed to escape but decided to go back to rescue her friend but was allegedly raped again.

"The whole incident lasted about 30 minutes," Sergeant Sparnan said.

She told the court that following the incident, one of the victims was offered money by one of the men to "cease any action".

Sergeant Sparnan said she was concerned about the safety of the victims given four men were still outstanding and police were yet to undertake identification procedures.

She told the court the accused's DNA was linked to a liquor bottle found at the scene but said the evidence against him, to date, was that he was one of the men who watched.

But the police prosecutor told the court he was charged as part of a "joint enterprise" and for aiding and abetting the crime.

Tyson Leung, for the accused, told the court that the charges were contested, and her client held down two jobs to try and support his son.

She asked Magistrate Nick Alexandrides if he could order a home detention report to see if her client was eligible to serve his bail at home.

Magistrate Alexandrides adjourned the bail application until next week to see if the accused is suitable for home detention, and to see whether the suppression order should be lifted.

More from ABC News (AU)

ABC News (AU)
ABC News (AU)
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon