You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Coronavirus: Ontario invests $1B to expand COVID-19 testing capacity, contact tracing | FULL

Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Deputy Premier and Minister of Health Christine Elliott announced on Thursday that the government would be investing over $1 billion to expand COVID-19 testing and contact tracing amid the pandemic. Elliott said the province's investment into COVID-19 testing will “significantly expand” testing capacity, as well as improve access and reduce wait times. She added they will also be hiring more contact tracers to “further expand our efforts to quickly identify potential cases.” Ford added that until Health Canada approves new rapid COVID-19 tests, “we need to be more strategic with testing,” and that those who are at “greatest risk” should be prioritized. The premier previously announced the province will launch a bolstered flu shot campaign in the coming weeks in a bid to keep hospital capacity down, and on Wednesday the government said that up to 60 pharmacies will begin offering COVID-19 tests to asymptomatic people starting Friday. Ontario reported 409 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Thursday, bringing the provincial total to 48,496. For more info, please go to https://globalnews.ca/news/7355231/ontario-coronavirus-pandemic-plan-testing-case-contact-management-part-3/ Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE: http://bit.ly/20fcXDc Like Global News on Facebook HERE: http://bit.ly/255GMJQ Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: http://bit.ly/1Toz8mt Follow Global News on Instagram HERE: https://bit.ly/2QZaZIB #GlobalNews #coronavirus #COVID19 #Ontario

UP NEXT

More From Global News

More From Global News

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon