You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

'Tide Pods Challenge' is the newest deadly trend among teenagers

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 2018-01-12 ARIEL SCOTTI
The “Tide Pods Challenge" requires kids to ingest small laundry detergent packages and post videos of themselves doing so online. © Charles Rex Arbogast/AP The “Tide Pods Challenge" requires kids to ingest small laundry detergent packages and post videos of themselves doing so online.

The "Tide Pods Challenge" is the latest dangerous trend gaining traction with teenagers on social media, sending some to the hospital.

The "challenge" requires kids to ingest small laundry detergent packages and post videos of themselves doing so online — many showing the unsurprising side effects of swallowing household cleaners, like choking, gagging and vomiting.

In the videos, some kids attempt "cooking" the packs by pan frying them before consumption, sparking the creation of countless memes across the internet poking fun at the dangerous new game. And there's even a "Hypothetical edible Tide pods recipe" that requires a baking sheet, Sprite and parchment paper.

The pods, of course, are supposed to be used as a replacement for traditional liquid clothing detergent, but according to WSOCTV.com, their purpose was skewed by a satirical story published by The Onion in 2015. The story was about a child devouring the pods after mistaking them for candy.

Then, in March 2017, the comedy website College Humor shared a video entitled "Don't Eat the Laundry Pods" in which a man downs an entire bowl-full and ends up carted off by EMTs on a stretcher.

"I don't regret it, I don't regret it," the actor in the spoof video repeats while foaming at the mouth.

There were more than 10,500 reported incidents of children aged 5-years-old and younger having dangerous encounters with the pods in 2017, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Swallowing the detergent could lead to diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty breathing and even death.

The Poison Control Center says to drink a full glass of water or milk if a pod is ingested, not to force yourself to vomit and to contact a doctor immediately.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon