You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

UK Vets Save a British Bulldog by Pulling a GLOWING RUBBER DUCK Out of His Stomach!

This is the moment vets saved a naught British Bulldog which had swallowed an entire RUBBER DUCK. One-year-old Ronnie was lucky to avoid surgery after he wolfed down the yellow plastic toy and it became stuck inside him. Staff at Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby put a video camera down the British Bulldog’s throat to loop the toy and pull it out earlier this month. Owner Joe Fisher, 38, from Nottingham, is framing the original X-rays and has kept the duck as a reminder of his pup’s mischief. The dad-of-three said: “I came down to get Ronnie in the morning and when I opened the stairgate, he shot past me and right up the stairs. “He ran right into my nine-year-old daughter Edie’s room, picked up the rubber duck that was lying on the floor and ran back down with it in his mouth. “I chased him round the house and garden for a few minutes and when I got close to him, I suddenly saw it was gone. “I’d only been chasing him to stop him chewing it up, I never for a minute thought he’d swallow it. It was so big I couldn’t believe what he’d done. “We were obviously really concerned that it might block his airway or something, but he didn’t appear to be bothered at all. “He was still quite happily running about as if nothing had happened.” Although Ronnie showed no ill effects, Joe phoned Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby. Senior Vet Debs Smith said: “We get a lot of cases of dogs having eaten things they shouldn’t, but this was really unusual. “We’ve never come across one who has swallowed a whole rubber duck. “We sedated Ronnie so we could get an X-ray and it showed up the duck really clearly. It was still in his stomach and hadn’t passed into the intestines, but we were obviously concerned about it causing an obstruction. “It was possible that we might have to operate but we tried an endoscopy first, passing down a camera and using it to guide us. “It really was like playing ‘hook a duck’ and after about half an hour we got the loop around it and pulled it out.” Ronnie was soon back to his old self after the procedure and Joe was able to collect him from the surgery later that afternoon. Joe, who runs Joe’s Juice in Nottingham, said: “It was a really worrying thing, but I felt reassured that he was in good hands. “He was absolutely fine when I got picked up, which was great as we were heading off for a staycation break the next day. “Pride gave us the duck back and have also been kind enough to give us the X-rays, which I’m having framed. “It’s just such a crazy thing to have happened. “Ronnie doesn’t seem to have learned his lesson and still picks up things in his mouth, but we’re trying to be extra careful to keep everything out of his reach.”
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon