You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Bow stabbing: ‘It was like a running battle’ - witnesses tell of horror as teenager stabbed to death

Evening Standard logo Evening Standard 05/09/2022 John Dunne and Martin Bentham
Lichfield Road stabbing © PA Lichfield Road stabbing

Detectives are hunting the killers of a London teenager stabbed to death during a “running battle” involving scores of young people near a party.

The victim, 17, was stabbed on Lichfield Road in Bow, east London, after partying teenagers clashed and staggered around 100 yards before collapsing outside a shop in Morgan Street. He was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital.

An 18-year-old also received stab wounds during the fight, which occurred shortly after midnight yesterday and was taken to hospital where he remains in a critical condition.

A resident, 60, told how she saw groups of young people frantically running up and down the road while two girls cowered in her porch.

“I heard shouting and then two girls ran into my porch. I heard them on a call to friends in which they said ‘he’s on the ground, he’s been stabbed, we think he’s dead’. They said they were scared and hiding.

“Outside there were loads of teenagers on their phones, a lot of them girls. It was like a running battle.”

Another witness said: “There were waves of teenagers running up and down the road, some with hoodies and their faces covered. It was terrifying.”

A third witness said: “There were two lads I saw on the ground. I couldn’t see any weapons but there were a lot of young people legging it everywhere. One of the boys was not moving.”

Police cordons remained in place at the crime scene today as detectives carried out door to door inquiries. Officers were also examining CCTV.

Some reports have claimed that machetes were used during the stabbing but Met Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers, who is leading the investigation, expressed caution about the accounts as he appealed for information about the attack and the killers.

“This is a worrying incident that has left one young man dead and another fighting for his life in hospital,” he said.

“I am aware of reports saying that about a hundred people, armed with weapons were involved. While I would stress that our investigation is in its very early stages, this information does not appear to be wholly accurate.

The officer added: “My team and I are working around the clock to establish exactly what has happened and who is responsible. I would ask anyone who witnessed this incident or may have information that could help our investigation to please get in touch with us and share what you know.

London has also suffered a resurgence of fatal shootings in recent months with the latest gun killing occurring on Kensington High Street yesterday. A 29-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Register now for one of the Evening Standard’s newsletters. From a daily news briefing to Homes & Property insights, plus lifestyle, going out, offers and more. For the best stories in your inbox, click here.


More from Evening Standard

Evening Standard
Evening Standard
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon