You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

'Nightmare neighbour' who set fire to flat after torching dead dog's ashes found dead in prison cell

Manchester Evening News logo Manchester Evening News 15/07/2019 Anna Whittaker & Rob Andrews & Todd Fitzgerald

A 'nightmare neighbour' locked up after setting her flat on fire has been found dead in her prison cell.

Angela Vickers had served two years of her 38-month sentence when her body was discovered by a prison officer earlier this month.

She was jailed at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court after torching a pet carrier containing the ashes of her dead dog when she was told she was being evicted for abusive and noisy behaviour, StokeonTrentLive reports.

The flames spread and caused £1,850-worth of damage.

It followed repeated threats to 'torch' the block of flats where she had been living for six years in Ruxley Road, Bucknall, after neighbours complained about loud music; doors being slammed; verbal and written abuse; and locks being glued.

An inquest has now been opened and adjourned into the death of the 37-year-old at HMP Foston Hall on July 5.

a house that has a sign on the side of the street: HMP Foston Hall © StokeonTrentLive HMP Foston Hall

PC Wood, from Derbyshire Police, told the inquest: "Angela was an inmate at the prison.

"There was a check done on Angela at 8.45am on July 5. She was supposed to go to education but she refused to do that, she didn't want to go. She wanted to stay in her cell. She was left in the cell and the cell was locked.

"At 9.25am a prison officer went to do another check at which point he found her sat in a chair, slumped with her head against the wall.

Read more of today's top stories

"There was a lot of blood. On her left leg, on the shin area, there was a small cut."

The inquest heard Vickers was in a single cell. A razor blade was found in her cell.

A provisional post-mortem examination has found 'numerous old scars in-keeping with self-harm'.

Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said: "The examination identified a small incised wound to the left shin, injuring a small artery."

The provisional cause of death has been given as an incised wound to the leg, although that is pending a toxicology report.

The inquest has now been adjourned ahead of full reports by the police and the prison service.


More from Manchester Evening News

Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon