You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Two men caught trading handguns and ammunition at Scots golf club jailed

Daily Record logo Daily Record 29/04/2021 Dave Finlay

Two men who were caught taking part in the handover of banned guns and ammunition at a golf club were jailed for five years each today.

Police watched Mark Kirkby leave a black Audi car and walk over to Ku Wing Kwok's vehicle at the club car park and open the boot and put items inside.

When officers later stopped Kwok they found five handguns and rounds of ammunition for the weapons.

A judge said at the High Court in Edinburgh that each firearm had been modified to allow it to fire live ammunition.

a man looking at the camera: Mark Kirkby © Police Scotland Mark Kirkby

Lord Fairley said that the accompanying ammunition was capable of "causing injury and death".

He told Kirkby and Kwok that each of them would have faced seven year jail sentences but for their earlier guilty pleas.

Kirkby (38) admitted two firearms offences by possessing five prohibited weapons and ammunition on September 1 last year at Ardeer Golf Club, Greenhead Avenue, Stevenson.

Kwok (42) admitted committing similar offences on the same date at Irvine Road, Largs, in Ayrshire. where police stopped him following the handover.

Prosecutor Owen Mullan earlier told the court that the five guns recovered by officers were Turkish made Retay blank firing pistols which had been modified and were capable of firing 9mm cartridges.

a person posing for the camera: Ku Wing Kwok © Police Scotland Ku Wing Kwok

The 100 rounds of ammunition each had a 7mm steel ball bearing fitted to them and were suitable for use with the guns.

The advocate depute said: "The ammunition recovered is capable of causing injury and death."

Kwok told police that he had been offered pounds 1000 to collect items at the golf club and transport them to the Greenock area where they would be picked up.

Mr Mullan said: "He stated that although he knew the items that he would be uplifting were likely to be criminal, possibly controlled substances, he did not anticipate them being firearms and/or ammunition."

Kirrkby was detained at home at Kerlaw Avenue, in Stevenson. Police seized mobile phones and cash.

Defence counsel Lorraine Glancy, fior Kirkby, said he had run up a substantial debt after using Class A drugs and was put upon to take part in the transaction. She told the court: "He knew what the consequences of arrest would be."

She said Kirkby was anxious to resume the role he played in caring for his partner

Paul Nelson, for Kwok, said that he had a gambling habit at the time of the offence and had shown remorse.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .


More From Daily Record

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon