You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Mum's shock as 'dead' son shows up on her doorstep months after his burial

Mirror logo Mirror 15/09/2019 Anna Ye

a person posing for the camera: Konstantin vanished and later returned, much to the shock of his family who thought he was dead

Konstantin vanished and later returned, much to the shock of his family who thought he was dead
© CEN/

A mum almost collapsed with shock when the son who she thought she had cremated showed up on her doorstep.

Distressed 62-year-old Antonina Mikhailovna reported her son Konstantin missing earlier this year, and later identified a body as being his.

The family, including Konstantin's estranged wife and daughter, arranged the funeral and the body was cremated and buried in the local cemetery.

Related Slideshow: News in pictures (Provided by Photo Services)

But four months later, Antonina heard a knock on the door and was stunned to find Konstantin standing outside, reports Komsomolskaya Pravda .

The 43-year-old said he had just taken some time out to think about the meaning of life.

Antonina, from Kronstadt in Russia, had reported her son missing on March 18, saying she did not know where he had been for six days.

A month later, she received a call from police saying they believed they had found his body. She was called to the morgue where she identified the body as her Konstantin's.

Police say they they do not know what to do because Konstantin has been officially declared dead, and they do not know who the cremated body belonged to.

A police spokesman said: “In the morgue of the Frunze district of St Petersburg, the mother, Antonina Mikhailovna identified her son Konstantin as being a dead person who was kept there."

Antonina has now apologised for misidentifying the body and explained she was very upset at the time.

She said: "He looked very familiar, and so I confirmed to police that he was my son."

Konstantin graduated from military school and worked locally on Kotlin Island which is a huge naval base. He told police he vanished without telling anyone because life got too much for him.

"I was thinking about the meaning of life, and what I want to do with myself," he said. 

Police confirmed they are investigating.


More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon