You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle sign deal with Netflix

The Independent logo The Independent 02/09/2020 Chelsea Ritschel
UP NEXT
UP NEXT
(Press Association)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have created a production company and signed a deal with Netflix to make documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming.

On Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said their new endeavour would be focused on “creating content that informs but also gives hope”.

"Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection,” the couple said in a statement, according to Variety. "Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry are posing for a picture © Provided by The Independent

"As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens. We are pleased to work with Ted and the team at Netflix whose unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.”

According to The New York Times, which first reported the news, although the couple may appear on camera, Meghan, who previously starred on the show Suits, has no plans to return to acting.

a group of people around each other: image © Provided by The Independent image

One of Meghan and Harry's first projects will be an animated series focused on inspiring women, which is already in development, the outlet reports.

While the couple's production company will operate independently from their charitable foundation Archewell, it will reportedly highlight similar issues and topics that are important to the duke and duchess.

In a statement, Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-chief executive and chief content officer, said the streaming service is “incredibly proud” that the royal couple chose Netflix as their “creative home”.

Gallery: Prince Harry and Meghan: Life after the royal exit (Photo Services)

“We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere,” he said.

Prince Harry and Meghan, who relocated to California with their son Archie earlier this year, aren't the first notable individuals to sign a deal with Netflix, as the company has previously worked with Michelle and Barack Obama and Shonda Rhimes on content partnerships.

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex react as they leave after their visit to Canada House in London, Britain  January 7, 2020. Daniel Leal-Olivas/Pool via REUTERS © Thomson Reuters Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex react as they leave after their visit to Canada House in London, Britain January 7, 2020. Daniel Leal-Olivas/Pool via REUTERS

The couple's deal with the streaming service comes after Prince Harry recently appeared in the Netflix documentary Rising Phoenix, which features Paralympians from around the world and “tells the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games.”

All of the content from the duke and duchess's new multi-year deal will be exclusive to Netflix. According to The Times, it is not currently clear how much Netflix has agreed to pay the couple, who announced in January their intentions to step back from their roles as senior members of the royal family and seek financial independence.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from The Independent

The Independent
The Independent
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon