You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Hillsborough: Families' anger as David Duckenfield found not guilty

Sky News logo Sky News 29/11/2019 Tom Parmenter, North of England correspondent

UP NEXT
UP NEXT
Bereaved families of the Hillsborough victims have expressed anger after the police officer in charge on the day of the disaster was cleared of gross negligence manslaughter.

David Duckenfield, who is now 75, has been on trial accused of causing the deaths of 95 Liverpool fans who died at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final in Sheffield - the UK's worst sporting disaster.

The majority verdict from the jury at Preston Crown Court marks a big setback for the bereaved families who have campaigned for justice over the past 30 years.

As the verdict was read, Mary Corrigan, the mother of 17-year-old victim Keith McGrath, shouted: "Stitched up again."

Others gasped and some families were crying.

a man wearing a suit and tie: David Duckenfield was match commander on the day of the disaster © Getty David Duckenfield was match commander on the day of the disaster Christine Burke, whose father Henry was killed in the tragedy, stood in the public gallery and addressed the judge.

She said: "With all due respect, my lord, 96 people were found unlawfully killed to a criminal standard."

In tears, she went on: "I would like to know who is responsible for my father's death, because someone is."

The victims of the Hillsborough disaster © PA The victims of the Hillsborough disaster Louise Brookes, whose 26-year-old brother Andrew was killed, told reporters afterwards: "I'm ashamed to be British. I'm ashamed of this country and things have got to change.

"I don't want any other family to go through what us Hillsborough families have had to go through."

Barry Devonside, the father of 18-year-old victim Christopher, said: "I'm shocked and stunned by the verdict of the jury. We, the families, have fought for 30 years valiantly."

One of the female jurors walked out in tears as the jury filed out of the courtroom.

a christmas display: The Hillsborough memorial at Anfield in Liverpool on the 30th anniversary of the tragedy earlier this year © Getty The Hillsborough memorial at Anfield in Liverpool on the 30th anniversary of the tragedy earlier this year In a news conference later, Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James died, said: "I blame a system that's so morally wrong within this country, that's a disgrace to this nation.

"When 96 people, they say 95, we say 96, are unlawfully killed and yet not one person is accountable.

Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James was killed in the disaster, becomes emotional during a press conference at the Cunard Building after former South Yorkshire police chief superintendent David Duckenfield was found not guilty of manslaughter at Preston Crown Court, on November 28, 2019 in Liverpool, England. © 2019 Getty Images Margaret Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James was killed in the disaster, becomes emotional during a press conference at the Cunard Building after former South Yorkshire police chief superintendent David Duckenfield was found not guilty of manslaughter at Preston Crown Court, on November 28, 2019 in Liverpool, England. "The question I'd like to ask all of you and people within the system is who put 96 people in their graves, who is accountable?"

"What a disgrace this has been today and what a shame on this country of ours. I feel so embarrassed to say that is the system within our country."

Stephen Kelly (L) and Margaret Aspinall shake hands as family members, survivors and campaigners for the victims of the Hillsborough Disaster hold a press conference in Liverpool, north-west England on Novermber 28, 2019 Stephen Kelly (L) and Margaret Aspinall shake hands as family members, survivors and campaigners for the victims of the Hillsborough Disaster hold a press conference in Liverpool, north-west England on Novermber 28, 2019

She added: "How can 96, I ask all of you, how can 96 be unlawfully killed and no one be accountable?

"Please give us the answer - who unlawfully killed my son along with 95 others?

"And I think now what we've got to try and do is change a system that's in this country that is so wrong."

Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson said: "Today's outcome is a huge disappointment for the families, the survivors and for all of those still trying to come to terms with the disaster that unfolded at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989."

People touch the Hillsborough Memorial Monument as the city observes a minute's silence at 3.06pm in Liverpool, north-west England, on April 15, 2019 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster in which 96 Liverpool football fans were killed. - The northern city of Liverpool remembered the 96 victims of the fatal crush at an FA Cup football tie between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield's Hillsborough stadium on April 15, 1989, 30 years to the day. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP)        (Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images) People touch the Hillsborough Memorial Monument as the city observes a minute's silence at 3.06pm in Liverpool, north-west England, on April 15, 2019 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster in which 96 Liverpool football fans were killed. - The northern city of Liverpool remembered the 96 victims of the fatal crush at an FA Cup football tie between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield's Hillsborough stadium on April 15, 1989, 30 years to the day. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) (Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images) As the verdict came in, Mr Duckenfield sat impassive in front of the dock with his hands clasped and then drank from a glass of water.

Benjamin Myers QC, defending him, claimed his client had been a "target of blame" for the disaster.

He told the court: "We say David Duckenfield did do what he was expected to do as match commander. He didn't breach his duty, he did what he was expected to do in difficult circumstances."

It was only at the inquests - which concluded in 2016 - that the myth fans were to blame was finally laid to rest and the deaths were ruled to be unlawful.

The families have since continued their fight for accountability and Operation Resolve, a new police investigation, reassessed all of the evidence and decided to prosecute Mr Duckenfield.

UP NEXT
UP NEXT
He stood trial earlier this year but jury members were unable to reach a verdict. The retrial has now cleared him of 95 counts of gross negligence manslaughter.

The "96th victim", Tony Bland, died from his injuries nearly four years later and too much time had passed for his case to be included in the charges Mr Duckenfield faced.

Margie Matthews lost her 38-year-old husband Brian at Hillsborough. He was a bank manager.

Three decades on, she struggles to see how Mr Duckenfield could be blamed for the entire tragedy.

"I don't think one man can be the figurehead or the whipping boy for the whole of the tragedy that unfolded," she said.

"I don't hate the man, I don't hate anyone - I feel dreadfully sorry for him right now the age he has got to.

"I wouldn't like to swap his mind, his thoughts and his emotions for anything else in the world."

The commander of Operation Resolve, Assistant Commissioner Rob Beckley, defended the multimillion-pound cost of the prosecution.

He said: "For those who have been affected [by Hillsborough] any price is appropriate and that's what we've always got to remember.

"There are many people: the victims, the victims' families and the thousands of people who've been affected. It's for them that it is right that we try and bottom this matter out."

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Sky News

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon