You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Coronavirus is getting stronger and infections could rise, China warns

Sky News logo Sky News 26/01/2020 Lucia Binding, news reporter

a group of people standing around a bag of luggage: Medical staff wear protective clothing with a patient at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital © Getty Medical staff wear protective clothing with a patient at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital China has warned the ability of the coronavirus to spread is getting stronger as the total number of infected rose to more than 2,000.

The authorities said little is known about the new virus and are unclear on the risks posed by it mutating.

So far 56 people in the country have been killed by the outbreak and the number of confirmed cases has reached 1,975.

It has also spread to the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada.

Separately, the province of Henan also reported one death from the virus.

The virus originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei late last year and has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing.

The latest figures reported on Sunday cover the past 24 hours and mark an increase of 15 deaths and 688 cases.

a screen shot of a computer monitor: Multiple departure flights have been cancelled in Wuhan © Reuters Multiple departure flights have been cancelled in Wuhan

The Chinese government has also reported five cases in Hong Kong, two in Macao and three in Taiwan.

Small numbers of cases have been identified in South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal, Australia, Malaysia and Canada.

Canada declared that Toronto had identified its first coronavirus case on Saturday - a man in his 50s who recently returned from Wuhan.

a group of people sitting on a bench: People wearing masks on a train on the first day of the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong © Getty People wearing masks on a train on the first day of the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong

France confirmed three cases on Friday, the first in Europe, and the US identified its second, a woman in Chicago who had returned from China.

The US State Department said it will evacuate staff at its Wuhan consulate to the US and will offer a limited number of seats to private citizens at greater risk of coronavirus on a flight to San Francisco on Tuesday.

The UK Foreign Office has advised against "all travel to Wuhan city", adding: "If you are in this area and able to leave, you should do so."

a man standing in a room: China has confirmed 1,975 people infected with coronavirus © Getty China has confirmed 1,975 people infected with coronavirus

The number of people tested for coronavirus in the UK has passed 30 - although there are still no confirmed cases.

Health officials are also continuing to track down around 2,000 people who have recently flown into the UK from Wuhan.

While most of the deaths have been older patients, a 36-year-old man in Hubei died on Thursday.

State-run China Global Television Network also confirmed that a doctor who had been treating patients in Wuhan, 62-year-old Liang Wudong, had died from the virus.

a group of people performing on a counter: Pharmacy workers wearing protective clothes and masks serve customers in Wuhan © Getty Pharmacy workers wearing protective clothes and masks serve customers in Wuhan

A report on state TV said resources and experts are being concentrated at designated hospitals for treatment of severe cases, with no treatment delayed due to cost, and supplies of materials to Hubei province and its capital Wuhan to be guaranteed.

China has announced further transport restrictions in a bid to stop the outbreak from spreading, with Hong Kong declaring a virus emergency and scrapping Lunar New Year celebrations that began on Saturday.

At the epicentre of the outbreak, Wuhan, where 11 million residents are already on lockdown, most vehicle use has been banned, including private cars, in downtown areas starting Sunday, state media reported.

The city will assign 6,000 taxis to neighbourhoods to help people get around if they need to, China Daily said.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Chinese tourists wearing masks walk through the Ginza shopping district in Tokyo, Japan © Getty Chinese tourists wearing masks walk through the Ginza shopping district in Tokyo, Japan Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said her government will raise its response level to emergency - the highest one - and close primary and secondary schools for two more weeks on top of next week's Lunar New Year holiday.

Ms Lam added that direct flights and trains from Wuhan would be blocked.

Hong Kong's popular amusement parks Disneyland and Ocean Park have closed to help prevent the spread of infection.

The Chinese military has sent 450 medical staff, some with experience in past outbreaks including SARS and Ebola, to Wuhan to help treat patients.

a group of people walking in front of a crowd: People visit Wong Tai Sin temple in Hong Kong © Getty People visit Wong Tai Sin temple in Hong Kong Two new dedicated hospitals are being built in the city to cope with rising numbers of cases.

Construction has already started on the first facility, with enough space for 1,000 patients, which is expected to be completed by 3 February.

The second, which is designed to have 1,300 beds, is due to be finished within three weeks.

The Ministry of Commerce is co-ordinating an effort to supply more than two million masks and other products from elsewhere in the country.


AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Sky News

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon