© SkyNewsScreenGrab
French jets prepare for airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Syria
France has launched a fresh wave of military airstrikes against IS targets in the group's Syrian stronghold of Raqqa.
France's army general staff said that fighter jets destroyed a command and training centre.
"For the second time in 24-hours the French military conducted an air raid against Daesh in Raqa in Syria," it said in a statement.
____________________________________________________
More on the Paris attacks:
Sky News: IS plotting deadly cyber attacks on Britain
In pictures: Faces of the Paris attack victims
All the latest news and analysis on our dedicated page
____________________________________________________
It comes as French President Francois Hollande called on the US and Russia to join a coalition to destroy IS, after the group claimed responsibility for attacks in Paris, which killed 129 people.
"France is at war against militant Islam," Mr Hollande told members of parliament at the Palace of Versailles on Monday.
"We're not engaged in a war of civilisations because these assassins do not represent any," he told a packed chamber. "We are in a war against jihadist terrorism which is threatening the whole world."
The president pledged that assaults by French fighter jets would intensify and he would meet President Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin in talks aimed at building a coalition to defeat IS.
"We must combine our forces to achieve a result that is already too late in coming," he said.
One of the Paris attack suspects dubbed "Public Enemy Number One" is thought to be still on the run despite earlier reports he had been caught by Belgian police.
Earlier there were conflicting reports over claims that Salah Abdeslam, a Frenchman wanted in connection with Friday's massacre, had been arrested by police in Brussels.
The president pledged that assaults by French fighter jets would intensify and he would meet President Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin in talks aimed at building a coalition to defeat IS.
"We must combine our forces to achieve a result that is already too late in coming," he said.
One of the Paris attack suspects dubbed "Public Enemy Number One" is thought to be still on the run despite earlier reports he had been caught by Belgian police.
Earlier there were conflicting reports over claims that Salah Abdeslam, a Frenchman wanted in connection with Friday's massacre, had been arrested by police in Brussels.
The 26-year-old was said to have been captured alive during a major Belgian special forces operation in the Molenbeek district of Brussels, according to Belgian broadcaster RTL.
Meanwhile the suspected mastermind of the Paris attacks has been named as Belgian Abdelhamid Abaaoud.
The 27-year-old is thought to be from the suburb of Molenbeek in Brussels, which was home to other members of the militant Islamist cell that carried out Friday's massacre. It is thought he is currently in Syria.
People in Paris observed a minute of silence at midday on Monday to mourn the victims of the terror attacks.
Mourners laid flowers and lit candle in front of the Monument at the centre of the Place de la Republique.
"It was important to come here together and try to forget what happened Friday evening," said one.
"Not to forget, because we think all was about this. We have to say that we are not afraid. We have to stand up. Life continues and they will not win."
-
How The Paris Attacks UnfoldedAt least 160 people have been killed in a series of attacks across Paris.
Sky News
-
Deadly Paris Siege In PicturesTwo suspects wanted over Friday's terror attacks are killed and five people arrested as armed police raid an apartment in the French capital.
Sky News
-
Paris attacks: Intelligence services 'cannot watch everybody’France has just begun to deal with the consequences of last Friday's terror attacks, the worst violence on its soil since World War II. The attacks, which killed at least 129 people, raise the question of how France will go about tackling this indiscriminate type of terrorism. Melissa Bell speaks to Yoram Schweitzer of the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv.
France 24
-
How The Paris Attacks Unfolded
Sky News 1:38
-
Deadly Paris Siege In Pictures
Sky News 1:40
-
Paris attacks: Intelligence services 'cannot watch everybody’
France 24 0:00
-
Found Paris Suicide Vest Examined for Clues
Bloomberg 2:40
-
Paris Attacks Suspect Sought
Sky News 3:18
-
Obama Reacts To Paris Attacks
Sky News 0:59
-
Why the Attacks in France Are an Act of War
Bloomberg 3:33