You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Tourist claims Conor McGregor destroyed phone with 'proper power' before fleeing scene with 'trademark strut'

Dublin Live logo Dublin Live 12/03/2019 Christopher Bucktin
Conor McGregor looking at the camera © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited

The tourist Conor McGregor allegedly robbed claims the UFC star destroyed his phone with “proper power” before fleeing the scene with his trademark ‘billionaire strut’.

Ahmed Abdirzak claims the Irish fighter assaulted him after a night clubbing at Miami’s famous A-list haunt, the Fontainebleau Hotel.

The incident has left the multi-millionaire, 30, facing two felony charges of criminal mischief and strong-arm robbery, which is punishable by up to 15 years in prison, just days after completing community service in New York for disorderly conduct.

Speaking to the Mirror from Miami, Ahmed said he thought McGregor was drunk when the alleged robbery took place around 5am on Monday.

a man smiling for the camera: Ahmed Abdirzak © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Ahmed Abdirzak

“He did assault me,” said the 22-year-old.

“He gave me his hand for me to shake, I have that on camera, I’ve got my phone out, I’m recording me shaking Conor McGregor’s hand.

“He pulls me in with his hand and with his right-hand slaps my hand with the phone. Like proper power. Full power. Slap my wrist. The phone falls to the floor.

“His security push me out.

“He starts stamping on my phone, picks my phone up off the floor, puts it in his pocket, does the McGregor walk, gets in his chauffeur car and says ‘F**k you’ and goes away.”

The Irishman is well known for his ring walk into Octagon known as the ‘billionaire strut’.

It sees him flailing his arms as he strides out into arena before and after a successful fight.

Telecoms worker, Ahmed, from Slough, Berkshire, had been at the hotel’s LIV nightclub where he and his friends had been partying “around rappers, footballers, NBA stars”.

He says before his €870 iPhone was destroyed he had not seen McGregor and only noticed to former two-weight champion as the fighter was leaving to get into his chauffeur-driven car in the valet area Ahmed denied her ever antagonised the star.

“In any way, I didn’t provoke him,” he added.

“We were in the car departure. I was in a celebrity nightclub, the biggest in Miami. I was around rappers, footballers, NBA stars.

“I didn’t even see him before that. If I had, I would have taken a picture before.

“I believe he was drunk but who is it for me to say he was drunk.”

The incident was caught on surveillance video which Ahmed said he was due to receive from police.

a police car parked on the side of a road © Conor McGregor/Instagram

McGregor was not arrested at the scene but tracked down to a Miami Beach house where he is staying with his girlfriend, Dee Devlin and children.

Despite the alleged incident, the former Windsor College student said he was still a huge UFC fan and that he “liked” McGregor.

On Tuesday, the Irishman posted a picture of himself on Instagram leaving the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Centre where he had been held on Monday night.

He told his 30 million followers: “Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on. I love my fans dearly. Thank you all.”

In the photo, he wore a T-shirt promoting himself.

Reading like the front page of a newspaper, the headline read: “When I say something is going to happen, it’s going to happen.”

Underneath it said, “McGregor is back”.

Conor McGregor et al. posing for the camera © @thenotoriousmma Instagram Conor McGregor

The fighter was released at 10pm on Monday after posting bond.

In a statement, McGregor’s Miami lawyer, Samuel Rabin, said the UFC former champion “was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”

The arrest came just days after he finished community service in New York after he was ordered to undergo anger management following his guilty plea deal with US prosecutors for disorderly conduct last July.

McGregor was said to found it “humbling” to do manual labour, said Pastor Clive Neil at the Bedford Central Church, where the fighter worked from Monday through Friday last week.

“He kept on using that word ‘humbling,’ ” the preacher said.

“He was doing physical work - vacuuming, mopping, moving boxes, moving supplies, putting out the garbage and so forth.

"He was quite patient in rubbing down the brass, polishing with spray and a cloth. He has enough strength in his muscles to do that.”

The Irishman has earned millions of dollars from lucrative bouts in Las Vegas and New York since becoming a champion in 2015.

He has an estimated wealth of €27 million.

NOW READ:

MPs defeat May's deal by crushing majority of 149 votes (The Guardian)

Trump 'wanted to fire' Ivanka and Kushner (Newsweek)

Dublin-US flights cancelled after plane ban (BBC News)

AdChoices
AdChoices

More From Dublin Live

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon