You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Jurgen Klopp and Jordan Henderson to lead video tributes on Hillsborough 31st anniversary

Irish Mirror logoIrish Mirror 15/04/2020 Press Association & Mark Jones
a group of people standing around a table: Klopp and Henderson lay a wreath at last year's service © Liverpool FC - Handout Klopp and Henderson lay a wreath at last year's service

Jurgen Klopp and Jordan Henderson will lead Liverpool's digital tributes on the 31st anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, with the last ever Anfield memorial service cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Reds' manager and captain are set to appear in videos released on the club's website and social media channels on Wednesday.

Liverpool staff and players will observe a minute's silence from home, while a banner will be displayed at Anfield and a wreath will be laid at the Hillsborough memorial at the stadium by a member of the club's staff.

Tributes will also be paid across Liverpool, with flags flown at half mast.

a group of people standing next to a brick wall: Klopp and Henderson visit the Hillsborough memorial last year © Liverpool FC Klopp and Henderson visit the Hillsborough memorial last year

The Hillsborough Family Support Group was due to hold its last service at the home of Liverpool, 31 years since the disaster at the side's FA Cup semi-final in 1989.

But the service - in memory of the 96 supporters who died in the match against Nottingham Forest - has been postponed due to coronavirus.

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the group, said the service was due to be the last of its type as the families would remember their loved ones "in their own way" on future anniversaries.

a group of people wearing red uniforms: This year's memorial has had to be cancelled © Getty This year's memorial has had to be cancelled

She said: "In light of recent events, a decision was made collectively by the families to postpone our final memorial service at Anfield.

"We wish to keep as many people safe as possible and we believe this is the right approach.

"On behalf of the HFSG, I would like to thank everyone for their understanding in this matter."

It was announced in February that the families of the victims had decided to hold a last service after former police match commander David Duckenfield was cleared of gross negligence manslaughter following a retrial in November.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from the Irish Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon