You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Boost for Munster as Joey Carbery in line to make injury comeback over Christmas period

Independent.ie logo Independent.ie 02/12/2019 Cian Tracey
a person standing on a football field: Joey Carbery has been sidelined since the end of the World Cup. Photo by Diarmuid Greene/Sportsfile © SPORTSFILE Joey Carbery has been sidelined since the end of the World Cup. Photo by Diarmuid Greene/Sportsfile

Munster have confirmed that they hope to have Joey Carbery back in action before the end of the month.

Since returning from the World Cup with an ankle injury, the province had been reluctant to provide any concrete time-frame on when the out-half might return.

Carbery is now however, said to be progressing well with his rehab as he aims to make his comeback over the festive period.

The 24-year old suffered the initial injury during Ireland's World Cup win over Italy back in August and played through the pain barrier in Japan.

The news will come as a huge boost to Munster, who are dealing with another injury at out-half as Tyler Bleyendaal is set for a spell on the sidelines.

Joey Carbery © Brendan Moran/Sportsfile via Getty Images Joey Carbery

The Kiwi complained of "neck stiffness" in recent weeks, which is a serious concern given that he has had two previous neck surgeries.

Munster have said that Bleyendaal will be given "a number of weeks to rest in taking every precaution with his recovery."

In more positive news, prop Jeremy Loughman does not require ankle surgery on the knock he picked up in the recent draw with Racing 92.

Loughman is likely to miss this Saturday's Champions Cup clash against Saracens as he "will be managed conservatively by the medical staff."

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Independent.ie

Independent.ie
Independent.ie
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon