You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Sri Lanka's defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks

India Today logo India Today 25-04-2019 Reuters
a person standing in a room: Sri Lanka's defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks Sri Lanka's defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks

Sri Lankan defence secretary Hemasiri Fernando told Reuters on Thursday that he had resigned, taking responsibility for the suicide bomber attacks on the country last Sunday.

He said that while there had been no failure on his own part, he was taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as the secretary of defence.

He said that security agencies were actively responding to intelligence they had about the possibility of attacks before they were launched.

"We were working on that. All those agencies were working on that," he said.

Sri Lanka's President has asked police chief and defence secretary to resign following Easter Sunday attacks, according to the two sources close to President.

The Easter Sunday bombings on churches and luxury hotels killed at nearly 300 people and wounded about 500.

The government revealed that the alleged suicide bombers hail from financially stable backgrounds and are well educated. Some of them lived in a suburb in Colombo. These attacks have left the neighbors shocked.

Also watch: Sri Lanka continues social media ban ‘to prevent violence’

Replay Video
UP NEXT
1
Cancel
UP NEXT
UP NEXT
(Video provided by Al jazeera)

In pics: Scenes from the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday explosions

(Slideshow provided by USA Today)

More From India Today

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon