You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

The Disturbing Thing Parents Are Doing to 'Cure' Autism

Mom.me logo Mom.me 7/2/2018 Lisa René LeClair
a person lying on a bed © Provided by Whalerock Industries

Photograph by Twenty20

Autism Spectrum Disorder affects millions of people worldwide, many of whom are children. While early detection, coupled with treatments, might help to reduce symptoms, the neuro-developmental disorder is not yet curable.

Some parents in the United Kingdom are challenging this by throwing money at a poisonous concoction promoted on U.K. websites and forcing their children (some as young as 2 years old) to drink dangerous chemicals.

Investigators discovered a private Facebook group where U.K. parents claimed they were trying to treat their kids with an unlicensed miracle "cure" for autism.

Miracle or Master Mineral Solution (MMS) for autism is a potent cocktail made of sodium chlorite and citric acid powder that promises to counteract autism. When combined, these ingredients produce industrial-strength bleach, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration.

In September 2017, "The Doctors" featured a story about parents administering MMS enemas to their kids. Though they chose not to share the images of what happened to these children on national television, the expression on the faces of the audience members told us everything we need to know about the dangers involved with MMS.

Still, the product remains available for purchase online and, despite label warnings (such as “keep out of reach of children,” and if ingested “seek medical advice”), as well as those offered by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and British Food Standards Authority Administration, desperate parents remain loyal to the process, claiming the toxic liquid is helping to kill off parasites.

Recently, Dr. Jeff Foster, who runs a private practice at the Spire Parkway Hospital in Birmingham, England, has also come forward to warn parents about the potentially deadly consequences of using MMS.

“Autism is a neurodevelopmental disease which is not amenable to any form of tablet treatment. It’s developed in the womb or early stages of life,” he told The Mirror's Sunday People. “You can’t just reverse it, and anyone claiming that does not understand the condition.”

He then compared the magic potion with playing a game of roulette.

"If you drink it on a long-term basis, it causes inflammation of your gut lining, stomach, esophagus and intestines. At some stage, something pops and then you can bleed to death,” he told the news outlet. “Eventually someone will die. It’s only a matter of time.”

More from Mom.me

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon