You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Full water restoration expected between Monday and Wednesday

New Straits Times logo New Straits Times 20/7/2019 Veena Babulal
a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Some 60 per cent of the 1.2 million ratepayers in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor  affected by Friday’s water cut following the emergency shutdown of four treatment plants in Sungai Selangor have their water supply restored.  -  NSTP/SYARAFIQ ABD SAMAD © Provided by Media Prima Some 60 per cent of the 1.2 million ratepayers in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor affected by Friday’s water cut following the emergency shutdown of four treatment plants in Sungai Selangor have their water supply restored. - NSTP/SYARAFIQ ABD SAMAD

KUALA LUMPUR: Some 60 per cent of the 1.2 million ratepayers in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor affected by Friday’s water cut following the emergency shutdown of four treatment plants in Sungai Selangor have their water supply restored.

Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (SYABAS) in a statement today said that 59 per cent of the 1,191,942 accounts or 703,245 accounts have had their water supply restored.

This follows the reopening of the treatment plants on Sungai Selangor on Sunday morning after they had been shut down due to presence of odour pollution.

“As at 12 noon, Saturday, 20 July 2019, the restoration of the total areas in seven affected regions had reached 59 per cent,” said Air Selangor Customer Relationship and Communications Department head Abdul Raof Ahmad.

Water supply restoration in areas with the largest number of account holders - Klang/ Shah Alam (416,996), Petaling (414,955), stood at 50.8 per cent and 55. 2 per cent respectively. Full water supply restoration in these areas is likely to be known by noon of next Wednesday (July 24).

In Kuala Lumpur (117,837) water supply had seen a 41. 1 per cent restoration. Full restoration is expected to take place by noon on Tuesday (July 23).

Water supply has been restored completely in Hulu Selangor (12,175), while the restoration in Gombak (155,850) and Kuala Selangor (64,558) and stands at 90.5 per cent and 96. 1 per cent respectively.

Water supply is expected to be fully restored in Gombak by noon on Monday (July 22), while Kuala Selangor is likely to see full restoration by noon Sunday (July 21).

In Kuala Langat (9,571) however there has been no progress on the restoration at press time. Full restoration is only expected to take place by noon on Wednesday (July 24)

It was earlier reported that more than 1 million ratepayers in the the two states would be affected by disruptions to their water supply due to odour pollution in the Sungai Selangor.

The odour pollution resulted in Sungai Selangor Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 Water treatment plants as well as the Rantau Panjang treatment Plant downstream, being shut down.

Raof said that relief water supply via tankers shall continue to be mobilised to affected areas.

“Given that the scale of the affected area is large, we have activated Local Service Centres and Public Water Taps in several locations as stated. Additionally, we will distribute 18,000 units of 5-litre bottled water to customers in multi-storey residences.

“We are stepping-up our efforts to stabilise flow and pressure in the distribution system and expedite water supply restoration process to all areas. Customers' cooperation throughout the restoration period is highly appreciated. Customers in areas that have recovered and have received supply are required to use water sparingly and avoid wastage.”

For further details and latest status, check the Air Selangor mobile app or go to www.syabas.com.my, “Air Selangor” Facebook and Twitter @airselangor will be updated from time to time.

The public can also call 15300 or WhatsApp to 019-281 6793 / 019-280 0919 during emergencies.

Syabas had earlier called off a water cut poised to affect 758,000 accounts, or an estimated three million users in seven districts in Selangor and some areas in Kuala Lumpur that was scheduled to take place from July 23 to 26 due to the emergency shutdown.

The scheduled disruption was meant to facilitate seven upgrading works at the Sungai Selangor Phase 1 Water Treatment Plant (SSP1 WTP).

© New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd

More From New Straits Times

New Straits Times
New Straits Times
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon