You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Auckland man arrested after bus driver beaten within an inch of his life in 'unprovoked attack'

Newshub logo Newshub 23/09/2021 Matt Burrows
© Provided by Newshub

A man has been arrested after a "violent and unprovoked attack" that left a central Auckland bus driver fighting for his life - the second serious assault on him in less than a month.

The attack occurred on Great North Rd in the suburb of Waterview at about 10:20pm on Wednesday night.

Police say the passenger had "dragged the driver from his seat to the aisle, striking him multiple times". The driver was left in a critical condition.

He has now recovered slightly, but remains in hospital in a "serious but stable" condition, according to Detective Senior Sergeant Phil Cox of Auckland City Police.

"The attacker then fled but police were able to swiftly locate him and he was arrested and taken into custody," he explained.

"A 27-year-old man has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possession of a knife in a public place. He is due to appear in the Auckland District Court today [Thursday]."

Det Snr Sgt Cox described it as unacceptable and an "appalling act of violence" on an essential worker who was "just going about their job".

He also revealed the attack was on the same driver who was brutally assaulted by three youths in Henderson on August 29, making it the second attack on him in just over three weeks.

On that occasion, the 69-year-old driver was attacked by three teenagers who left him with serious injuries to his face. He alleges they tried to gouge his eyes and that one tried to spit on him.

A Givealittle page was set up after that incident so he had time to recover and could replace his glasses, which were smashed. It raised $26,585.

Auckland Transport has been contacted for comment.

Police had already been offering support to the driver and his family through Victim Support and will continue that support after this latest incident, Det Snr Sgt Cox said.

"Police will be further increasing their patrols and visibility on and around buses to ensure the safety of bus drivers. Police will also continue to work closely with Auckland Transport on this issue.

"Last week Police and Auckland Transport issued a plea for people to treat drivers with the respect they deserve after a spate of assaults and bus incidents over the past few months."

In the period from Sunday, August 1 to Friday, September 17, there had been 35 reported incidents involving abuse or aggression towards Auckland's bus drivers.

More from Newshub

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon