You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Duterte extends enhanced community quarantine in NCR, 7 other 'high-risk' areas

GMA News Online logo GMA News Online 4/24/2020
a man holding a microphone: President Rodrigo Duterte presides over a meeting of the IATF on the April 30 enhanced community quarantine. MALACANAN PHOTOS © Malacanang photo President Rodrigo Duterte presides over a meeting of the IATF on the April 30 enhanced community quarantine. MALACANAN PHOTOS

President Rodrigo Duterte has extended the enhanced community quarantine to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Metro Manila, Central Luzon and CALABARZON until May 15.

Duterte's decision was announced by presidential spokesperson Harry Roque in a televised briefing on Friday morning.

Duterte also accepted the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases to extend until May 15 the ECQ in similarly high-risk areas Pangasinan, Benguet, Mindoro island, Albay and Catanduanes.

ūüďį MORE ON MICROSOFT NEWS

The Chief Executive also announced the imposition of an ECQ until May 15 in Panay, Cebu and the Davao provinces. These are also considered high-risk in connection with the spread of COVID-19

Duterte said regions, provinces or areas which are considered moderate- and low-risk in the spread of COVID-19 will be placed under a general community quarantine starting on May 1.

For areas placed under general community quarantine, the following will be observed:

  • workers and sectors in category I, II and III may continue to work or operate in phases;
  • the general population may go out of their homes only for purposes of accessing basic necessities;
  • in any case, those with ages below 21 years old and those 60 years old and above as well as those with ages ranging from 21 years olf but below 60 years old but who reside with co-morbidities or other risk factors shall stay home;
  • non-leisure stores in malls and shopping centers may partially open;
  • higher education institutions may continue classes to finish the academic year and issue credentials to students in accordance with guidelines as may be issued by the Commission on Higher Education;
  • priority and essential construction projects may resume in accordance with guidelines as may be issued by the DPWH;
  • public transportation may operate at a reduced capacity in accordace with guidelines as may be issued by the DOTr;
  • local government units shall enforce curfew at night for non-workers; and
  • airports and seaports may operate insofar as the unhampered movement of goods.

The President’s move came after he consulted with government officials, medical experts and former Health secretaries this week regarding possible measures to be implemented after April 30, or more than a month after the Luzon-wide quarantine started.

Duterte imposed last month strict confinement measures in Luzon to contain the spread of the virus, including sweeping restrictions on travel and mass gatherings, and the closure of schools and non-essential businesses.

He asked the people to stay home even as he told the military and police to prepare for a stricter enforcement of quarantine rules.

The President also directed Acting Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Karl Kendrick Chua to focus on crafting the Philippine recovery plan.

The Luzon-wide quarantine was originally scheduled to end on April 13 but Duterte extended it until April 30. -- NB/KBK, GMA News

This article Duterte extends enhanced community quarantine in NCR, 7 other 'high-risk' areas was originally published in GMA News Online.

More From GMA News Online

GMA News Online
GMA News Online
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon