You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Opening ceremony director dismissed after past comments on Holocaust, Tokyo 2020 says

Reuters logo Reuters 22/7/2021
a close up of a pond: The Olympic Rings are photographed ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo © Reuters/KAI PFAFFENBACH The Olympic Rings are photographed ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo

TOKYO (Reuters) - The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been dismissed, organisers said on Thursday, following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto told a briefing that Kentaro Kobayashi had been dismissed because of past comments that made fun of a tragedy.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

View the full site

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon