You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Austrian Archduke Karl von Habsburg, 59, becomes the first royal in the world to confirm a coronavirus diagnosis

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 3/17/2020 Hayley Richardson For Mailonline

Karl von Habsburg, the Archduke of Austria, has tested positive for coronavirus and is being quarantined.

Archduke Karl of Austria wearing a suit and tie walking down a street holding an umbrella: Karl von Habsburg, the Archduke of Austria, has tested positive for coronavirus and is being quarantined © Provided by Daily Mail Karl von Habsburg, the Archduke of Austria, has tested positive for coronavirus and is being quarantined

The politician, 59, who is the head of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and grandson of the last Emperor of Austria, Charles I of Austria, confirmed the news to Austrian TV channel oe24, after he began experiencing symptoms last week.

He insisted he is 'fine' and branded the virus 'annoying', adding: 'It's not the black plague'.

'I thought it was the usual flu. When a friend called me that he had a positive test at a congress in Switzerland, I was also tested,' the archduke explained, reports Hello!.

He went on to praise the Austrian authorities for ensuring 'panic is not brought in' by acting 'with measure and goal'. 

Karl, whose ancestral titles are Archduke of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia, revealed last week he was experiencing mild symptoms of coronavirus, including a cough, headache and 'a little fever'.

He told the news outlet oe24 he was remaining 'completely alone at home', explaining: 'I have a friend who puts groceries at my door every two days.'

'I was at an event in Switzerland ten days ago, the archduke explained. 'There were also many Italians there. 

a group of people standing in a wedding dress: Karl, whose ancestral titles are Archduke of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia, revealed last week he was experiencing mild symptoms of coronavirus, including a cough, headache and 'a little fever'. Pictured with Baronesss Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza and their children Eleonore of Austria (right), Ferdinand of Austria (left) and Gloria of Austria (second right) at their Debutante Ball on June 13, 2015 © Provided by Daily Mail Karl, whose ancestral titles are Archduke of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia, revealed last week he was experiencing mild symptoms of coronavirus, including a cough, headache and 'a little fever'. Pictured with Baronesss Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza and their children Eleonore of Austria (right), Ferdinand of Austria (left) and Gloria of Austria (second right) at their Debutante Ball on June 13, 2015

'When my friend called me there a few days later and said that he had the coronavirus, I knew that I should also be tested. I was out with him for two days.'

He told how he called the hotline and the following morning, the Red Cross took a sample from him. 

Following a positive test result, he was served a separation notice from police, instructing him to self-isolate. 

Karl has three children with his estranged wife Baroness Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza; model Eleonore, 26, racing driver Ferdinand Zvonimir, 22, and Gloria, 20. 

Archduke Karl of Austria et al. standing in front of a building: Politician Karl went on to praise the Austrian authorities for ensuring 'panic is not brought in' by acting 'with measure and goal'. Pictured with Georg von Habsburg (third left) in 2015 © Provided by Daily Mail Politician Karl went on to praise the Austrian authorities for ensuring 'panic is not brought in' by acting 'with measure and goal'. Pictured with Georg von Habsburg (third left) in 2015

At its height of power, the House of Habsburg was one of the leading and most influential rulers in Europe. 

Charles I of Austria reigned for two years until the monarchy was abolished at the end of the World War I. 

The news about Karl's diagnosis comes after Queen Letizia of Spain was given the all-clear after she was tested for the coronavirus following a kiss on the cheek with an infected government minister earlier this month.

A spokesperson for the Spanish royal family said her husband, King Felipe VI, was also cleared after tests.

The monarchs were tested late last week after it emerged a government minister with whom Queen Letizia had met recently had been diagnosed with the disease. She shook hands with equality minister Irene Montero at an event in Madrid. 

King Felipe VI of Spain, Queen Letizia of Spain are posing for a picture: The news about Karl's diagnosis comes after Queen Letizia of Spain (right) was given the all-clear after she was tested for the coronavirus following a kiss on the cheek with an infected government minister earlier this month © Provided by Daily Mail The news about Karl's diagnosis comes after Queen Letizia of Spain (right) was given the all-clear after she was tested for the coronavirus following a kiss on the cheek with an infected government minister earlier this month

The coronavirus outbreak has affected a number of royal events, including the postponement of the Monaco royal family's annual Rose Ball and Queen Mathilde of Belgium's state visit to Italy. 

Last week Queen Elizabeth II's upcoming visits to Cheshire and Camden were postponed because of the pandemic.

Her Majesty is expected to remain at Buckingham Palace. Earlier this month the Queen is reported to have vowed not to let the outbreak stop her from performing her duties and to set an example by 'keeping calm and carrying on' until there is 'compelling advice to the contrary'.

Yesterday Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned that all people in the UK, especially the over 70s, should stop all non-essential contact and travel, which is likely to have a major impact on the working monarchy's royal duties. 

A Japanese state visit to the U.K., the 75th anniversary of VE Day, Trooping the Colour, investitures and summer garden parties are just some of the events which are likely to be under scrutiny as to whether they will continue. 

A palace spokesperson said: 'We are studying the implications of the new Government advice and its impact on forthcoming events.' 

RELATED VIDEO: U.S. braces for COVID-19 induced social isolation that could last into summer

AdChoices

More From Daily Mail

AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon