You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Facebook removes profiles of alleged Boulder shooter

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 3/23/2021 David Matthews

Facebook said Tuesday it had removed profiles on its different platforms connected to alleged Boulder supermarket shooter Ahmad Alissa.

A spokesperson for the social media company told ABC 7 Denver that it had already taken a number of steps to ward off copycat attempts or further radicalization.

“Yesterday, we designated the shooting as a mass shooting under our Dangerous Individuals and Organizations policy, which means we will continue to remove content that praises, supports or represents the shooting or the identified suspect.”

“In line with this policy, we have removed accounts for the identified suspect from Facebook and Instagram.”

“We will remove any additional accounts belonging to the suspect or accounts created by others in his name if we find them on our services.”

a close up of a logo: Facebook removed the profile of the suspect shooter in the Boulder, Colorado attack. © LIONEL BONAVENTURE Facebook removed the profile of the suspect shooter in the Boulder, Colorado attack.

Facebook removed the profile of the suspect shooter in the Boulder, Colorado attack. (LIONEL BONAVENTURE/)

“We are also temporarily preventing other people on Facebook and Instagram from creating accounts with the same name as the suspect.”

“We are in contact with law enforcement on this matter.”

Alissa was charged with 10 counts of murder earlier Tuesday after allegedly opening fire with an AR-15-style rifle at a King Soopers grocery store Monday afternoon. He was taken into custody within a matter of hours.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon