You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Jussie Smollett case won’t be dismissed, trial set for Nov. 29

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 10/16/2021 Joseph Wilkinson

The Jussie Smollett case has outlasted “Empire.”

A Chicago judge denied Smollett’s request to dismiss the case Friday, setting a trial date for Nov. 29 in connection with the infamous reported “hate hoax” case.

Smollett’s attorney, Nenye Uche, argued that the actor should not be charged because the case had been dismissed in March 2019 and Smollett had served his part of a plea deal.

Jussie Smollett speaks after the charges were initially dropped in March 2019. © Nuccio DiNuzzo Jussie Smollett speaks after the charges were initially dropped in March 2019.

Jussie Smollett speaks after the charges were initially dropped in March 2019. (Nuccio DiNuzzo/)

But Judge James Linn said the bizarre legal saga would continue because the “Empire” star never admitted wrongdoing.

In January 2019, Smollett told Chicago police that two people attacked him, hurled racist and homophobic slurs and told him he was in “MAGA Country” in downtown Chicago.

But two brothers, Abimbola (Abel) and Olabinjo (Ola) Osundairo, said Smollett paid them $3,500 to stage the attack for a PR boost. Smollett was charged with several crimes related to making a false report, but the charges were all dropped just a couple weeks later.

Nearly a year after that, in February 2020, Special Prosecutor Dan Webb announced new charges against Smollett, who has denied orchestrating the attack, pleaded not guilty to the new accusations and insists he was a victim of a crime.

That denial however, did not stop “Empire” showrunners from writing his character, Jamal Lyon, off the show and leaving Smollett out of the sixth and final season, which concluded in April 2020.

With News Wire Services

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon