You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Six San Antonio police officers shoot, kill armed man during standoff, police say

WOAI San Antonio logo WOAI San Antonio 9/23/2020 SBG San Antonio Staff Reports
Man shot and killed by police after barricading himself inside West Side apartment

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Police Department released new details in a late-night standoff that ended with six officers shooting and killing an armed man.

According to a preliminary report, the suspect was shot several times after he pointed a handgun at the police officers during the standoff at the Westway Apartments along Culebra Road near Callaghan late Tuesday night.

Caption: San Antonio Police Chief McManus gives details on the Officer-Involved Shooting

Police had been called to the area to check out a report of a burglary. While still in the parking lot, officers heard a gunshot fired inside an apartment.

"They could then hear children yelling and crying inside of the apartment. While the officers were planning a possible forced entry, the door was opened from the inside. The female complainant and the children ran out of the apartment, leaving the suspect inside," states the report.

At least six officers tried to coax the man - who was holding a handgun - into surrendering, but he only backed further into the apartment, telling officers he had a rifle and would shoot, according to the report.

"The suspect raised his right arm pointing the firearm directly at the officers. Six officers fired at the suspect who was struck multiple times," the report states.

The suspect was taken to a hospital where he died. His identity hast not yet been released, but the report adds that he was out on bond on an aggravated assault charge involving the woman who ran out of the apartment.

SAPD Chief William McManus said he would offer more information after reviewing body cam footage, but the preliminary report does not reference any footage in the case.

None of the officers were hurt. They are on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.


More from WOAI San Antonio

WOAI San Antonio
WOAI San Antonio
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon