You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

SLC SWAT arrests man who allegedly attacked another man with a saw

KUTV Salt Lake City logo KUTV Salt Lake City 10/14/2021 Sara Knox, KUTV

UPDATE: Police have identified the suspect as 32-year-old Samuel M. Hubble.

He was booked into Salt Lake County Jail on potential charges of aggravated assault, obstruction of justice and criminal mischief. Hubble was released from jail a few hours after being booked, according to court records. 

The Salt Lake City Police Department SWAT team safely arrested a suspect who allegedly assaulted a man using a reciprocating saw.

According to police, the investigation started at approximately 11 p.m. on Tuesday when Salt Lake PD officers received information about a fight taking place near the intersection of 300 East and  200 South.

Police arrived at the scene and learned that three people were outside walking a dog when they were approached by the suspect.

The suspect somehow got tangled in the dog leash which then led to a "verbal altercation" between the suspect and the three walking the dog.

MORE: Salt Lake police exploring ways to reduce response times

During the fight, the suspect allegedly used a reciprocating saw to cut a man above the eye. He sustained minor injuries and was taken to the hospital.

Following the assault, the suspect returned to his home, grabbed a metal pipe and broke out a car window. He then barricaded himself in his home before officers arrived.

Caption: The Salt Lake City Police Department SWAT team safely arrested a suspect who allegedly assaulted a woman using a reciprocating saw. (Video: Salt Lake City Police)

Police attempted to speak to the suspect by phone and issuing commands over a loudspeaker but the suspect refused to exit.

SWAT teams and the Hostage Negotiation Team were requested at the scene.

MORE: Suspect in Rockville shooting incident dies

At approximately 2 a.m. on Wednesday morning, SWAT entered the man's house and found the suspect inside a bedroom. The suspect was then safetly taken into custody.

No additional injuries were reported by police.

Closed roads surrounding the incident were cleared roughly an hour later.

An investigation into the incident is still ongoing.


More from KUTV Salt Lake City

KUTV Salt Lake City
KUTV Salt Lake City
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon