You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Woman who opened fire at Dallas Love Field taken to jail after 3 weeks in hospital

Dallas Morning News logo Dallas Morning News 8/17/2022 Kelli Smith, The Dallas Morning News

The woman who opened fire last month inside Dallas Love Field airport before she was shot by a Dallas police officer was moved to jail Tuesday, about three weeks after being hospitalized, police say.

Portia Odufuwa, 38, was shot July 25 in her “lower extremities” by Officer Ronald Cronin after Dallas police allege she announced “I am going to blow this [expletive] up” and fired a gun at the airport ceiling and at Cronin. No one else was injured.

Odufuwa was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital, where she underwent surgery. Her family said about a week after the shooting that they had not been updated on her medical condition and that the hospital gave “vague” answers about her care. Odufuwa’s relatives could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

Odufuwa remained in Dallas County jail on a charge of aggravated assault against a public servant in connection with the shooting. Her bail was set at $500,000 on the charge. It was unclear whether she has an attorney.

Before the shooting, Odufuwa was dropped off at the airport by an Uber driver, according to police. The driver is not connected to the shooting, police said. She went into a bathroom, then approached the Southwest Airlines ticket counter, where she was overheard making comments about singer Chris Brown, whom she called her husband. Then she pulled out a gun and opened fire until Cronin, who stood nearby, shot her.

Court records show Odufuwa has previously been arrested on several charges across North Texas cities, including arson, robbery, criminal trespass and false reporting. Many were dismissed after she was found incompetent to stand trial. She also previously underwent both inpatient and outpatient mental health treatment.

The mental-health diagnoses that led to the courts’ findings were unclear, but Odufuwa’s mother wrote in an application for a protective order in 2020 that Odufuwa wasn’t taking her medication for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. A Collin County judge did not grant the protective order, and it was not clear what evidence was presented.

Ingrid Jackson, Odufuwa’s sibling, previously told The Dallas Morning News that Odufuwa struggled “with this mental condition over a period of time.” She said her family repeatedly asked the courts for help and whether they could monitor Odufuwa “but the courts ... gave us pushback.”

©2022 The Dallas Morning News. Visit Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


More From Dallas Morning News

Dallas Morning News
Dallas Morning News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon