You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Former Cybersecurity Chief Plans to Take Legal Action After Trump Lawyer Calls for Him to Be Shot

Newsweek logo Newsweek 12/1/2020 Katherine Fung
a man wearing a suit and tie: Christopher C. Krebs, director of the Homeland Security Department's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency speaks before the Senate Judiciary Committee on May 14, 2019 in Washington, DC. Krebs threatened to take legal retribution after a Trump lawyer called for the former official to be executed. © Tasos Katopodis/Stringer Christopher C. Krebs, director of the Homeland Security Department's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency speaks before the Senate Judiciary Committee on May 14, 2019 in Washington, DC. Krebs threatened to take legal retribution after a Trump lawyer called for the former official to be executed.

Former cybersecurity chief Chris Krebs suggested he would take legal action against the Trump campaign after Trump attorney Joe diGenova called for the former official to be shot.

In an interview on the Today show, Krebs said he and his team are "taking a look at all our available opportunities" after diGenova, a lawyer for the president's re-election campaign, called for the former director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) to "be drawn and quartered, taken out at dawn and shot."

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

Although once a Trump appointee, Krebs has recently fallen out of favor with President Donald Trump and his team for contradicting the campaign's unsubstantiated claims of election fraud in the presidential election.

DiGenova is the latest Trump ally to criticize the former Department of Homeland Security official, calling him "a class A moron" on a Monday episode of Newsmax's The Howie Carr Show before suggesting he should be shot.

"It's certainly more dangerous language, more dangerous behavior," Krebs responded on Tuesday. "The way I look at it is that we are a nation of laws, and I plan to take advantage of those laws. I've got an exceptional team of lawyers that win in court, and I think they're probably going to be busy."

Asked if he was concerned for his safety, Krebs said, "I'm not going to give them the benefit of knowing how I'm reacting to this. They can know that there are things coming, though."

Krebs, a lifelong Republican, was fired by Trump on Twitter last month after he issued a statement through the CISA calling the election "the most secure in American history."

"There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised," the statement read.

Trump called the statement "highly inaccurate" in a tweet firing Krebs.

"There were massive improprieties and fraud—including dead people voting, Poll Watchers not allowed into polling locations, 'glitches' in the voting machines which changed...votes from Trump to Biden, late voting, and many more," Trump tweeted.

The Trump campaign has continued to make unsubstantiated claims that the election was stolen as a result of widespread voter fraud and has filed lawsuits in key battleground states to try to overturn the election's outcome. But those suits have largely failed because of a lack of evidence.

Newsweek reached out to diGenova's law firm and the Trump campaign for comment but did not hear back before publication.

Start your unlimited Newsweek trial

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Newsweek

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon