You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

2 attendees at Trump rally in North Carolina test positive for coronavirus

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 10/29/2020 Muri Assunção

Two people who attended a Trump rally in Gastonia, North Carolina last week have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The announcement was made Thursday by the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services.

“Anyone who was in attendance at the rally is encouraged to monitor their symptoms and seek testing if needed,” authorities said, adding that they believe that the cases are not an indication of spread from the rally, “but rather two independent cases among individuals who were in attendance.”

Donald Trump standing in front of a crowd: GASTONIA, NC - OCTOBER 21: President Donald Trump makes remarks to a crowd of several thousand rally goers at Gastonia Municipal Airport on October 21, 2020 in Gastonia, North Carolina. Polls in North Carolina show republicans not carrying the state 12 days before the election. © Melissa Sue Gerrits GASTONIA, NC - OCTOBER 21: President Donald Trump makes remarks to a crowd of several thousand rally goers at Gastonia Municipal Airport on October 21, 2020 in Gastonia, North Carolina. Polls in North Carolina show republicans not carrying the state 12 days before the election.

GASTONIA, NC - OCTOBER 21: President Donald Trump makes remarks to a crowd of several thousand rally goers at Gastonia Municipal Airport on October 21, 2020 in Gastonia, North Carolina. Polls in North Carolina show republicans not carrying the state 12 days before the election. (Melissa Sue Gerrits/)

Between 15,000 and 20,000 people attended the event held at the Gastonia Municipal Airport.

Despite requests by local officials for attendees to follow social distancing guidelines and wear face coverings, few supporters had face masks on, “and many people were seen standing shoulder-to-shoulder,” Charlotte’s NBC affiliate, WCNC, reported last week.

A reporter for the network, Brandon Goldner, wrote on Twitter Thursday afternoon that he’s one of the two people who tested positive.

“I was wearing a mask during the entire rally, but due to Secret Service protocols, there were several times when social distancing wasn’t possible,” he wrote, adding that he feels OK, but quarantining in accordance with local guidelines.

According to a media release from county spokesman Adam Gaub, contact tracing is underway.

“Other places these individuals have been and other close contacts to these individuals are being notified directly by public health staff,” the statement read.

Officials are notifying the community so people can assess their own risk and take any necessary actions.

Following the rally, Joe Biden’s campaign issued a statement criticizing Trump’s large in-person rally, as hospitalizations and cases continued to rise in the state.

“On the same day we reached 4,000 COVID-19 deaths and 250,000 positive COVID-19 cases, President Trump is coming to North Carolina and purposefully ignoring public health guidelines to hold a large rally with no social distancing or requirement for face masks," Biden’s campaign said.

"North Carolinians know better: we know it didn’t have to be this bad, and we know we have the power to change course in this election.”

According to the The Charlotte Observer, the Trump campaign was scheduled to host a rally in Fayetteville, N.C. Thursday evening, but the event was postponed to Monday due to high winds.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon