You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Coronavirus concerns prompt Joint Base San Antonio to postpone its air show until 2022

mySA logo mySA 7/15/2020 By Sig Christenson, Staff writer
a group of people on a train track with smoke coming out of it: The Pearl Harbor re-enactment at Joint Base San Antonio's Air Show and Open House in 2017 at Port San Antonio. © Provided by mySA

The Pearl Harbor re-enactment at Joint Base San Antonio's Air Show and Open House in 2017 at Port San Antonio.

Coronavirus has canceled Fiesta and threatens to crimp high school, college and professional sports seasons. Now, it's taken down another San Antonio staple — the air show at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

It had been scheduled for November. Reset for April 23-24, 2022, it will coincide with the Air Force’s 75th Anniversary.

“I know this is disappointing, but this decision was made with the health and safety of the JBSA members and surrounding communities in mind,” Brig. Gen. Caroline Miller, the joint base’s commander, said Wednesday. “Thank you for your unwavering support and patience as we work through this time together.”

a group of people standing next to a body of water: People take in the sights during Joint Base San Antonio’s 2017 Air Show and Open House at Port San Antonio. © Provided by mySA

People take in the sights during Joint Base San Antonio’s 2017 Air Show and Open House at Port San Antonio.

Normally presented every two years, the air show has been on a long hiatus, last occurring in November, 2017, at Port San Antonio, site of the old Kelly Field. That year it marked several milestone anniversaries — the Air Force's 70th, the Air Education and Training Command's 75th and Kelly's 100th.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: The tail section of a B-25 Mitchell bomber is silhouetted at Joint Base San Antonio’s 2017 Air Show and Open House at Port San Antonio. © Provided by mySA

The tail section of a B-25 Mitchell bomber is silhouetted at Joint Base San Antonio’s 2017 Air Show and Open House at Port San Antonio.

Crowds came out for a weekend of aerial acrobatics, static displays of aircraft and a Pearl Harbor re-enactment called “Tora! Tora! Tora!” in which vintage Japanese fighters and bombers made a mock attack using more than 60 pyrotechnic devices.

When told of the Air Force’s decision, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff wasn’t surprised.

“The more people you gather together, the more problems you have, so probably not a bad idea,” he said.

Sig Christenson covers the military and its impact in the San Antonio and Bexar County area. To read more from Sig, become a subscriber. sigc@express-news.net | Twitter: @saddamscribe

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from San Antonio Express-News

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon