You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Florida teen blames collapsed lung on vaping

Orlando Sentinel logoOrlando Sentinel 8/19/2019 By Tiffini Theisen, Orlando Sentinel

A Florida teen suffered a lung collapse so severe he felt like he was having a heart attack, and he blames it on vaping.

“I couldn’t breathe,” 18-year-old Chance Ammirata told CBS This Morning in a report that aired Monday.

Emergency room doctors told Ammirata his right lung developed a hole and collapsed, according to the report.

After Ammirata had surgery to repair the hole, medical staff told CBS This Morning that the teen's lungs appeared inflamed, "which could have been caused by something he'd been inhaling," CBS reported.

Ammirata starting using Juul when he was 16. He never smoked traditional cigarettes.

After his experience, he launched a social media campaign with the hashtag #LungLove aimed at turning teens and others away from vaping.

"I decided that spreading my story could help others not have to go through the same thing as me," he wrote on Instagram.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday announced it is investigation 94 possible cases of severe lung illness associated with vaping in 14 states.

The CDC’s position is that “the use of e-cigarettes is unsafe for kids, teens, and young adults."

Vaping refers to the use of e-cigarettes, electronic devices that heat liquid and produce an aerosol, sometimes flavored.

Last year, a vape pen was blamed in the death of a Florida man after the device exploded in his face.

See the full video interview at CBS This Morning.

———

©2019 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)

Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

AdChoices
AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon