You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Metro Suspends Service Early Due To DC Curfew

Patch logo Patch 6/1/2020 Alessia Grunberger
a train on a steel track: In light of DC Mayor Muriel Bowser's 7 p.m. curfew, Metro will be suspending service early on Monday. © Alex Wong/Getty Images In light of DC Mayor Muriel Bowser's 7 p.m. curfew, Metro will be suspending service early on Monday.

WASHINGTON, DC — Metro announced on Monday that it will be closing early due to a 7 p.m. curfew in Washington, D.C.

Trains will stop running one hour early, at 8 p.m.; and buses will stop running two hours early, at 9 p.m.

Here's everything you need to know:


  • Last trains will depart downtown transfer stations at 8 p.m.
  • Trains heading downtown will stop running before 8 p.m.
  • Alternative travel will not be provided


  • Service will be suspended at 9 p.m.
  • Buses that are scheduled to depart at or after 9 p.m. will not operate
  • Buses already in service at 9 p.m. will continue operating to the end of the line


  • MetroAccess won't begin new trips from customers' residences after 9 p.m.

Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered a 7 p.m. curfew Monday and Tuesday, following chaotic protests Sunday night that resulted in significant damage to areas of downtown Washington, D.C. Members of the media and essential workers are exempt from the curfew.

Protests erupted across the country after a video surfaced this week that showed George Floyd, a Minnesota black man in handcuffs, pleading for air as a white cop knelt on his neck. In the now-viral video, Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin continued to press his knee down on Floyd's neck — even after he appeared to lose consciousness.

Thousands of people have taken to the streets to protest Floyd's death. Some protests have been peaceful, while others turned violent.

In Minneapolis, the epicenter of protests, some protesters set a police precinct on fire and looted numerous businesses. As demonstrations boiled over, officers fired flash bang grenades, tear gas, and rubber bullets at crowds of people.

Following a day of mostly peaceful demonstrations in the nation's capital, the protests turned destructive Sunday night, as an 11 p.m. curfew was put in place. Police vehicles were vandalized, the AFL-CIO building and St. John's Church were set on fire, and multiple businesses were looted.


More from Patch

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon