You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Duterte Moves to Cancel U.S. Military Pact, Inquirer Reports

Bloomberg logo Bloomberg 2/8/2020 Cecilia Yap
Rodrigo Duterte wearing a suit and tie: Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippines' president, speaks at the Future of Asia conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Friday, May 31, 2019. Trade tensions between U.S. and China are creating uncertainty and causing downward stressors to global economy, Duterte said. © Photographer: Bloomberg/Bloomberg Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippines' president, speaks at the Future of Asia conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Friday, May 31, 2019. Trade tensions between U.S. and China are creating uncertainty and causing downward stressors to global economy, Duterte said.

(Bloomberg) -- President Rodrigo Duterte will order the termination of a military pact with the U.S., the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported, citing his spokesman Salvador Panelo.

Last month Duterte threatened to end the agreement after Washington canceled a visa for a senator who used to lead his drug war.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin will be instructed to officially inform the U.S. government that the Southeast Asian nation will terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement, Panelo was quoted as saying. The pact sets the terms for U.S. military personnel operating in the Philippines.

Locsin told a Senate hearing on Thursday that terminating the pact will “negatively impact” defense and economic ties between the two nations.

To contact the reporter on this story: Cecilia Yap in Manila at cyap19@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Shamim Adam at sadam2@bloomberg.net, Virginia Van Natta, Stanley James

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2020 Bloomberg L.P.

AdChoices
AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon