You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Phil Mickelson, 3 others remove themselves from LIV Golf lawsuit against PGA Tour

Yahoo Sports US 9/27/2022 Ryan Young

Phil Mickelson and three others officially asked to be removed from LIV Golf’s antitrust lawsuit against the PGA Tour on Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Mark Schlabach.

Mickelson, Talor Gooch, Ian Poulter and Hudson Swafford asked to be dismissed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit — which they and other LIV Golf members filed last month amid their ongoing feud with the PGA Tour.

"I am focused on moving forward and am extremely happy being a part of LIV, while also grateful for my time on the Tour," Mickelson said in a statement, via ESPN. "I am pleased that the players on Tour are finally being heard, respected, and valued and are benefitting from the changes recently implemented. With LIV's involvement in these issues, the players' rights will be protected, and I no longer feel it is necessary for me to be part of the proceedings."

Mickelson was one of several, along with LIV Golf, who filed the lawsuit against the Tour last month. They alleged several antitrust violations, challenged the Tour’s decision to suspend them from events and more. Mickelson claimed in the lawsuit that he was suspended for two months in March for “attempting to recruit players” for LIV Golf.

Three players in the lawsuit also used it to try and force their way into the FedExCup Playoffs, though a judge denied that motion.

Per ESPN, Bryson DeChambeau, Matt Jones and Peter Uihlein are still plaintiffs in the lawsuit along with LIV Golf. Abraham Ancer, Carlos Ortiz, Pat Perez and Jason Kokrak have removed themselves, too.

"Nothing has changed," LIV Golf spokesman Jonathan Grella said in a statement, via ESPN. "The merits of the case — the PGA Tour's anti-competitive conduct — still stand and will be fully tested in court. And we look forward to that. LIV stands with the players whom the PGA Tour has treated so poorly, but we also recognize that to be successful, we no longer need a wide array of players to be on the suit. We have our players' backs and will press our case against the PGA Tour's anti-competitive behavior."

Mickelson has been the face of the new controversial Saudi Arabian-backed venture since its inception, and he’s received the most criticism for his participation.

Despite that, and the ongoing lawsuit between the two leagues, Mickelson said earlier this month that he thought it was time for the two leagues to come together.

"I think both are needed for the game of golf. Both are good for the game of golf,” he said. “The inclusion of LIV Golf in the ecosystem of the golf world is necessary.

“As soon as that happens and we all start working together, that’s going to be a really positive thing for everyone."

Phil Mickelson is no longer part of LIV Golf's lawsuit against the PGA Tour. (Chris Trotman/LIV Golf via Getty Images) © Provided by Yahoo Sports US Phil Mickelson is no longer part of LIV Golf's lawsuit against the PGA Tour. (Chris Trotman/LIV Golf via Getty Images)
AdChoices
AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon