You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Storms Sweep Through DC Area

NBC Washington D.C. logo NBC Washington D.C. 8/6/2022 Storm Team4 and NBC Washington Staff
© Provided by NBC Washington D.C.

Another round of thunderstorms rolled through the Washington, D.C., area Friday, prompting severe thunderstorm and flood warnings as sweltering heat and humidity continued to grip the region.

Storm Team4 declared a weather alert due to the storm risk and heat. Track all weather alerts here.

Friday’s bad weather came one day after storms hit the region with rain, lots of lightning and thunder. An apparent lightning strike killed three people and critically injured one other at Lafayette Square near the White House Thursday evening.

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

As another storm arrived Friday afternoon, police were asking people to leave Lafayette Square, which was again experiencing lightning and rain. 

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

In Northeast, D.C. Friday evening, the storms flooded neighborhood streets. Videos show cars driving through water and past street barriers.

"Remember do not drive into the water, it can be a lot higher than you think," anchor Adam Tuss said.

Highs reached the low 90s Friday afternoon, with feels-like temperatures near 100°.

Thursday's afternoon highs at Reagan, Dulles and BWI-Marshall airports were 95°, 97° and 99° respectively, with rainfall amounts of 0.93 inches, 0.72 inches and 1.22 inches.

The steamy, stormy weather pattern will continue over the weekend.

[wx-radar /]

Weekend Forecast for the D.C. Area and Outlook for Next Week

Weekend storms won’t be as widespread, but you’ll want to keep an eye on the forecast for any plans to get outdoors or travel.

Afternoon heat index values will rise to about 100° Saturday and Sunday amid temperatures in the upper 80s to low 90s.

Storms are likely both days in the 3 to 9 p.m. time frame.  Saturday’s rain chances are at 60%, and Sunday’s chances sit at 40%.

Rain chances will drop a bit for Monday before ramping up again in the middle of next week. Expect highs to keep getting above 90° until at least Wednesday.

Heat Safety Tips

Intense heat can quickly become dangerous. Keep an eye on vulnerable groups including newborns, infants, children and the elderly.

“Heat is one of the leading weather-related killers in the United States, resulting in hundreds of fatalities each year,” the National Weather Service says.

To stay safe in the heat, stay hydrated and opt for water and sports drinks over sugary beverages. Take shade breaks. Know the signs of heat-related illness. Avoid strenuous outdoor activities, or move them to the cooler morning hours.

Never leave a pet or kids alone in a parked car. Temperatures in cars can rise to lethal levels within minutes, even with the windows cracked, according to KidsandCars.org.

Wearing loose, light-colored clothing can also help you stay cool.

D.C. says it declares a heat emergency when temperatures or the heat index reach 95°. Cooling centers open during a heat emergency, here's how to find a cooling center plus free transport.

Spray parks and public pools are another way to cool down. Pools and spray parks are open throughout the region.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from NBC Washington D.C.

NBC Washington D.C.
NBC Washington D.C.
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon