You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

USMNT right back Sergino Dest considering a move to Man United

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 31/08/2022 Alastair Talbot For Dailymail.Com

Manchester United could make an offer for Barcelona and USMNT right-back Sergino Dest before the summer transfer window shuts on Thursday, as the player would be 'open' to a move to Old Trafford, according to reports.

The American is deemed as surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp, and has not been involved in any of Barcelona's first three matchday squads in LaLiga so far this season — a clear sign from manager Xavi that the defender should seek for pastures new.

The former Ajax full-back has been linked to an array of clubs in the Premier League and LaLiga throughout the summer, though it has been said that Dest would be tempted by a late move to United, reports ESPN.

US international Sergino Dest, 21, could make a late move to Manchester United © Provided by Daily Mail US international Sergino Dest, 21, could make a late move to Manchester United Earlier this summer, officials at Old Trafford suggested a straight swap between Dest and United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka after the latter's latest demotion as Diogo Dalot's backup © Provided by Daily Mail Earlier this summer, officials at Old Trafford suggested a straight swap between Dest and United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka after the latter's latest demotion as Diogo Dalot's backup

New boss Erik ten Hag has previously managed the Dutch-born US international at Ajax and is said to be keen for a reunion at Old Trafford. However, a move for the 21-year-old depends on the future of another full-back — Aaron Wan-Bissaka. 

The 24-year-old England international has been the subject of interest from former club Crystal Palace, as well as West Ham United. 

Signed two years ago for an initial fee of $58million and with three years left on his contract, Wan-Bissaka still has time on his hands to establish himself at the club, though he has been demoted to Diogo Dalot's backup at United.

Earlier this summer, the Red Devils suggested a swap deal involving both Dest and Wan-Bissaka, though it has been believed that the Catalan Club were not interested in acquiring the English right-back. 

A direct transfer seems to be the most likely outcome, should the swjtch happen. Barcelona are seeking $23million for Dest — the total amount spent by the club in 2020 to acquire him from Ajax. 

Still, given the Spanish club's financial troubles and their willingness to move the player on, a lower estimation or even a loan move with an option to buy could be accepted.

Borussia Dortmund's Thomas Meunier, 30, is also reportedly being considered by United © Provided by Daily Mail Borussia Dortmund's Thomas Meunier, 30, is also reportedly being considered by United

Club officials at Old Trafford are also considering a late move for Thomas Meunier, 30, according to The Telegraph. 

The Belgian international, who plays for Borussia Dortmund as a right-back, is available on loan and could be the Red Devils' third signing this after Antony and Martin Dubravka. 

The pair have respectively passed their medicals in Manchester after the club spent a whooping $99.6m on the former while the latter came in on loan with a $6m purchase option for next summer.

Barcelona, meanwhile, is looking for a like-to-like replacement for Dest as the club's preferred option, Juan Foyth, has been ruled out of action for two months following a knee injury sustained in a match against Getafe on Sunday. 

The Argentine's release clause is also set at $63m, icing Barcelona's interest. 

Club officials in Catalonia have instead turned their heads to former Arsenal captain, Hector Bellerin, who now plays for rivals Real Betis. 

Read more
AdChoices
AdChoices

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon