You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

FAQ on the UK Visitor Visa

The South African logo The South African 2022/09/29 Breytenbachs
© Provided by The South African

FAQ on the UK Visitor Visa

The UK is a very popular tourist destination for South Africans. Many South Africans want to visit friends and family in the UK; others want to experience the many tourist attractions the UK offers.

South Africans who want to visit the UK have to apply for the UK Visitor Visa.

Breytenbachs assist South Africans who want to visit the UK in applying for their visas. Below we have answered some FAQs on the UK Standard Visitor Visa.

What will I be allowed to do while in the UK on the Visitor Visa?

The UK Standard Visitor Visa for Tourism will allow the applicant to visit the UK for tourism purposes, such as a holiday or a vacation. You will also be allowed to visit family or friends. You can also do the following things;  

  • Volunteer for up to 30 days at a registered charity
  • Pass through the UK on your way to another country
  • Take part in a school exchange programme
  • To a recreational course for up to 30 days

Will I be able to do some part-time work while on the Visitor Visa?

No, you are not allowed to do unpaid or paid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person.

My daughter and grandchildren live in the UK. Can I apply for a visitor visa that will allow me to visit them often?

If you visit the UK regularly, it might be best to apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa. You can apply for a two-year, five-year or ten-year long visa. However, it is important to note that you will still only be able to stay for a maximum of six months every visit.

It is important to keep in mind that you may not use the visitor visa as a means to live in the UK through frequent or successive visits. You may only visit the UK for up to six months.

The Home Office may cancel your long-term Standard Visitor visa if they believe you are repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.

I have a British boyfriend. Can we get married when I travel to the UK later this year while on my UK Visitor Visa?

No, you are not allowed to get married while in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa. You can apply for the Marriage Visitor visa. The visa allows a person to come to the UK to get married, register a civil partnership in the UK, or give notice to do so. You will not be allowed to stay or settle in the UK after the marriage or civil partnership. You will have to return to your home country and apply for a visa to settle in the UK.

Are the rumours true that the Home Office is refusing many visitor visas?

The UKVI is currently very strict in adjudicating Visitor Visas to the UK, requiring very specific information and evidence. Breytenbachs are receiving many calls from persons whose Visitor’s Visa applications have been refused. Don’t lose time as well as your visa application fee. Rather get Breytenbachs to help you apply for your UK Visitor Visa. 

How Breytenbachs can assist you

Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants have a team of consultants specialising in all the different types of UK Visitor Visas. Contact them today for more advice and support throughout your application process.

Please email Breytenbachs at or visit our website for more information. You can also phone your nearest Breytenbachs on the following numbers: Durban – 031 880 2777, Cape Town – 021 830 5246 or Pretoria – 021 460 9959, or our London office at +44 207 442 2160.

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. 

ALSO READ: Care Worker wanting to work in the UK?

More from The South African

The South African
The South African
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon