You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Eastern Cape police shut illegal shebeens and confiscate booze

The South African logo The South African 2022/07/31 Rorisang Kgosana

Two illegally operating shebeens have been shut in the Buffalo City Municipality with tens of thousands of rands worth of booze seized by police.

POLICE OPERATION GOES AFTER ILLEGAL LIQUOR OUTLETS

The Buffalo City Municipality District had police on the tails of illegal liquor outlets during the weekend’s operation.

The operation led to the shutting down of two shebeens and the seizure of alcohol valued at R45 000, said police spokesperson Warrant Officer Majola Nkohli.

The police have been hard at work in clamping down illegal liquor outlets following the death of 21 teenagers at the Enyobeni Tavern in East London last month.

ALSO READ: Enyobeni tragedy: The hopes and dreams of the 21 teens who lost their lives

The weekend operation was led by deputy provincial police Commissioner Major General Thandiswa Kupiso, Nkohli said.

She was joined by her provincial and district management who led their foot soldiers during the night operations.

Other stakeholders including the local traffic department and the Eastern Cape Liquor board added more force to the operation.

Police in the Buffalo City Municipality are targeting illegal liquor outlets during their operation. PHOTO: SAPS © Provided by The South African Police in the Buffalo City Municipality are targeting illegal liquor outlets during their operation. PHOTO: SAPS

SHEBEENS CLOSED DOWN AND ALCOHOL SEIZED

Two shebeens were closed down as they operate without a liquor licence. The owners were handed a fine.

“Police confiscated 217 204 litres of liquor valued at about R45 000.”

Warrant Officer Majola Nkohli

Three taverns were served with compliance notices for various contraventions of the Liquor Act such as failure to appoint a manager.

“Thirteen people were arrested for crimes ranging from possession of illicit drugs to assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.”

In addition, about 255 vehicles were searched during the operation, Nkohli said.

The provincial police commissioner Kupiso commended the team and foot soldiers.

“The law-abiding citizens are noticing your selfless efforts. Let us maintain that momentum and ensure that we continue towards safer districts for a safer Eastern Cape,” said Kupiso.

ALSO READ: “I’m a celebrity” – Enyobeni owner overheard during journalist interview

EASTERN CAPE DAY-CARE ARMED ROBBER SENTENCED

An armed robber who broke into a day-care centre and robbed its owners at gunpoint faces 12 years in jail.

Lukhanyo Ndeya and two accomplices kicked open the kitchen door of the day-care centre in Gqeberha on 14 September last year.

They pointed a firearm at the owner and his wife and fled the scene with three cellphones, jewellery, cash and a laptop.

“No one was injured in the robbery. Ndeya was traced and arrested. He was sentenced last Monday by the New Brighton Regional Court.

More from The South African

The South African
The South African
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon