You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Enyobeni tavern owner to make FIRST court appearance today

The South African logo The South African 2022/08/19 Reeshni Chaslyn Chetty
© Provided by The South African

The owner of Enyobeni Tavern will be making his first appearance in court on Friday, 19 August. He is expected to appear before the East London Magistrate’s Court.

The tavern owner is facing charges for contravening the Liquor Act

The tavern owner is facing charges relating to selling liquor to underage children which is in violation of the Liquor Act. 

The tavern made headlines after 21 youngsters died under mysterious circumstances. The bodies of the youngsters were found inside the tavern and no cause of death has yet been confirmed, reports EWN.

Investigations into the cause of deaths of the youngsters are ongoing

Last month, the tavern owner was charged for contravening liquor laws. SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Thembinkosi Kinana said the investigation into the deaths of the 21 youngsters is still ongoing.

“As indicated earlier, the investigation into the tragic death of 21 children is still ongoing and the postmortem results are awaited,”

said Brigadier Kinana.

Enyobeni tavern OWNER and two employees ARRESTED

Last month, it was reported that police said the owner of Enyobeni tavern and two employees were arrested after 21 youngsters died in the tavern in East London in June under mysterious circumstances.

According to police spokesperson Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana, the investigation also focussed on alleged violation or contravention of the Eastern Cape Liquor Act by permitting or conniving for the selling or supplying of liquor to children under the age of 18 years and for selling or supplying liquor to children under the age of 18 years.

Kinana, furthermore said SAPS management had reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that all the investigations around the Scenery Park tragic incident are conducted in a more professional and well-organized manner for a successful prosecution and subsequent conviction in the court of law. Read the full story here

Enyobeni latest: Families to receive report on cause of death

The Eastern Cape provincial government has reportedly confirmed that the families of the 21 teenagers who died at Enyobeni Tavern in East London in June will be the first to know the results of what led to the deaths of their loved ones. 

The Eastern Cape provincial government confirmed that the results have been received, however, the families will first be informed and then the results made public. In July, the provincial government ruled out that the 21 young people were killed due to a stampede.

Over-consumption of alcohol and speculation of carbon monoxide were also ruled out. Read the full story here.

More from The South African

The South African
The South African
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon